banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voodoo Amp Mod for a Marshal DSL100: is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Amp Mod for a Marshal DSL100: is it worth it?

While it's essentially the most well-rounded amp I've ever heard, I'm looking for ways to improve my DSL's tone. I've been considering picking up a BBE Sonic Maximizer and a THD Hot Plate since I can use both of those with other amplifiers if I ever want to drop the DSL, but I've heard a lot about the modifications Voodoo Amps can do. Their website seems promising and it's just what I'm looking for in terms of thickening up my sound, but at the same time it's very expensive. Would it be worth the $400-$700 to fix my amp up? I'm a little skeptical.
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Re: Voodoo Amp Mod for a Marshal DSL100: is it worth it?

I took a trip up to Ithaca to get mods done on my Soldano at Voodoo Amps. I ended up being really pleased with the work. I needed some chime added to the clean channel and some clarity added to the gain channel when at a lower volume. Both mods were exactly what I wanted, and were exactly the results they promised. In short, I give the double thumbs up to Trace and Anthony at Voodoo.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Comment

There's also cheaper ways of tightening and thickening the tone of a DSL.
      I've used a Banzai Coldfusion pedal with Marshalls and made the sound huge and crushing. Or, a Boss EQ pedal in front, left ON most of the time. Or BBE Sonic Maximizer. Swap out a couple speakers for H-30's.

For me, the best way to thicken an amps sound is to use a clean boost OD that has a bigger sound than the uneffected sound. The Coldfusion does a good job of adding size or gain, or both.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I had my Rectifier modded by Trace and Anthony at Voodoo and it turned my prety good sounding amp into a monster that has left my tone search at its end as far as amps go. I also have 2 Voodoo cabs and all Voodoo cables on everything from my rack to speaker cables, guitar cables. I was a skeptic about what is really improving my tone but once I find a place that deals in QUALITY parts and service I am hooked. You will be too if you have them introduce you to tone Nirvana.
        My bands links:

PEDL
        www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
        www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
        www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I have a DSL 50, and thought that I might also have my amp modded by VooDoo. (The DSL 50 sounds pretty good to begin with, but thought I could make it a little better... by doing something... just didn't know what).

That something turned out to be a THD 16 ohm HotPlate. It took all the buzziness out of the amp. Added more dynamics, and basically made the amp sound alot bigger.
          Like most every tube amp I've ever played, you've got to get that output section going, to not only get rid of buzzy sounding preamps (master volumes), while also adding the sweet harmonics of output tube distortion. (and without killing your ears).

Go for the HotPlate first. If your still not happy, go for the mod.

Comment

i have a dsl100 modded by trace at voodoo... i can hear a noticable difference between the distortion, mine has alot more crunch/chug sound then the regular dsl, which i find buzzy. The cleans are also better. I dont mind stock dsl cleans but trace really hit the tone i was after with his mods.

Is it worth it? to me it is but it all depends what your after and how much money your willing to spend. i also use a hot plate, and an avatar cab with 2 gt75's and 2 vintage 30's.
            boreddddddddddd

Comment

They do killer work. I'm going down there with a buddy of mine at some point. Thankfully it's not a very long drive from here.

Comment

Trace Allen does killer mods and knows his stuff! He's a super nice guy and a personal friend....I say go for it...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

you may also wanna look into replacing the transformers with mercury magnetics stuff

the transformers on new marshalls are total junk, and just replacing them will be a big improvement in tone
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                    you may also wanna look into replacing the transformers with mercury magnetics stuff

the transformers on new marshalls are total junk, and just replacing them will be a big improvement in tone
                    Agreed 100%
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Trace got a mercury magnetics plexi tone clone transformer for me for a original 5150 I had. I sold it and regret it as the transformer made a very significant difference in the thump and overall feel of the 5150 as they have crap transformers in them. It was my second stock peavey transformer in the same amp before the MM transformer.
                      My bands links:

PEDL
                      www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                      www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                      www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                        Trace got a mercury magnetics plexi tone clone transformer for me for a original 5150 I had. I sold it and regret it as the transformer made a very significant difference in the thump and overall feel of the 5150 as they have crap transformers in them. It was my second stock peavey transformer in the same amp before the MM transformer.
                        Trace wants me to try his Custom MM transformer and choke....Need to put more money aside though....Someday soon though...It's pricey...

Comment

Working...
                        X