Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall jcm 600 - tubes.

Hello all,
    Can anyone reccomend me some ecc83s (4) and a pair EL34s which will give me a decent amount of clean headroom in my marshall jcm 600. I know, sacrilege and all for a Marshall, but hey, it was cheap... I've been reccomened Svetlanas so far, whats the word on these?
    Im not after a 'typical' rock sort of sound, all I need from the amp is for it to be clean at highish volumes.
    Im on a bit of a budget too...
    Thanks very much!

Re: marshall jcm 600 - tubes.

GA, If I were to retube my JTM622 for the best cleans with max headroom I would go with SED EL34's and EH 12AX7s in all slots. The SED's are very musical, and the EH's are pretty bright. If straight EH's leave you wanting something a bit different, stick a Shuguang 12AX7C, sometimes called a Chinese C9 in either the 1st or 2nd position.

You will need to bias that amp if you replace the power tubes.

Get more opinions and good luck.
    Last edited by wixedmords; 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

thanks for the reply, one problem; Im in the uk and cant find these around anywhere, asside from the EHs. Anyone else got any ideas...

Comment

oh, and is it reealy necesary to bias if I replace the power amp valves with the same model?
        Could I stick them in for now, to at least rectify the situation, and then get them biased at a later date?
        thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by girlafraid
          oh, and is it reealy necesary to bias if I replace the power amp valves with the same model?
          Could I stick them in for now, to at least rectify the situation, and then get them biased at a later date?
          thanks.

Any power tube change needs biasing. I even check my EL84 amps, because it is easy and I make sure they are operating in a safe range. But, I maintain my amps. Some don't. It is too bad, because biasing is easy. To each his/her own.

On my 622, a 1/4 turn off on the bias pot can put the amp at an extremely hot bias, so everyone be careful. Think of it like a truss rod adjustment, a little at a time.
          Last edited by wixedmords; 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM.
          Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
          Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

It's nice to see a fellow JCM 600 player. If you havn't checked out Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm) yet you should. Shoot Bob an email and he'll recommend you a set of tubes. I went the high(ish) gain rout when I ordered my tubes, so I'm of no real help...
            Guitars:
            Agile AL 3000 (Custom/59 hybrid, stock neck)
            Agile LP 2000 (A2Pro Set)
            Fender JV Strat (Texas Hot bridge, Surfer N+M)

Amps:
            5150, Bogner Shiva, JTM 45 Clone, Vox AD15VT

Cab: Avatar 4x12

Comment

if you're in the UK, there's www.watfordvalves.com
              Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
              Marshall Mods

Comment

i used to have a JTM60 which i belive is the same amp.

mine sounded the best when i put in 6L6's belive it or not
                Ibanez Roadstar II
                EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

thanks very much for all the information, advice etc. For what its worth Im thinking of going for JJ el34s and ecc83s's and a nos phillips ecc82 for the reverb. Should be able to get a good bit of headroom, but if I ever feel like getting dirty or selling it on it'll still be 'marshall' enough...
                  Thanks for the infor regarding biasing too, I had a feeling it was a bit of a stupid question... mine is actually the 602, the 2x12" combo version too. Great amp, served me well so far. Just wish it wasn't so heavy!

Comment

Working...
                  X