for those Marshall or other/ EL 34 users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for those Marshall or other/ EL 34 users

I called up Bob @ Eurotubes to order some tubes for my Mesa, and we talked a bit about the new JJ KT 77s.

For those of you who use EL 34s, you may already know this, but according to him, the KT 77s are a fat sounding linear tube that's a direct replacement.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Re: for those Marshall or other/ EL 34 users

Yep I have a pair that I want to try in an EL-34 equipped amp I am testing

Comment

cool ....

since the KT 77 is described as fat and linear, it sounds like it's similar in relation to an EL 34 as a KT 66 is to a 6L6. There was some talk of JJ also developing a KT 66 about a year or so ago, so I have some hopes they'll produce one some day.

Supposedly, they were leaning toward a small bottle version, which maybe wouldn't look as cool, but would fit in more amps.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Yes it is the "HIFI" version of the EL-34, same as the KT-66's.
        I love the clear and fatter sound of those type of tubes

Comment

I thought KT-88s were to EL34s what KT-66s are to 6L6s???

Is the KT-77 gonna meet ya' half way between the 34 & the 88 ??? (increase the headroom, but still able to get some breakup?)

.............and where would 6CA7s fit in??????

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
            I thought KT-88s were to EL34s what KT-66s are to 6L6s???

Is the KT-77 gonna meet ya' half way between the 34 & the 88 ??? (increase the headroom, but still able to get some breakup?)

.............and where would 6CA7s fit in??????
            Nope....The 6CA7 is the American numbering of the EL34 and normally a larger bottled tube almost the size of a 6l6....

The KT88 is more on the lines of a 6550 in size and what it can handle..

KT stands for Kinkless Tetrode...
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Why thank you Mr. Spina

Comment

Why thank you Mr. Spina
                You're very welcome....I've tryed KT tubes in my Marshall and 6L6s and EL34s are the Marshall tone for me and the only tubes I'll use in mine! Every other tube screws up the mids and the compressed growl and honk you get with EL34s.....Things start getting to round and Fendery with these other tubes..If I want Fendery,I play through my Fender amps...LOL

When I Play through a Marshall I expect it to growl,cut,and have a tight agressive tone unlike anything else(Other than the modern copies)...I'm also speaking about the early Marshalls(The real ones and void of all the extra crap they place in the simple circuit)
                Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 02-26-2006, 08:01 AM.
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Well, I've got one of Scott's Celtic Edanas which is basically a JTM45. The KT-66s sound fantastic in it in "SWEET" mode & get a nice bit of bite in either "*****" mode or with the channels jumpered.

That said, I wonder what it would sound like with EL34s & a SS rectifier????

Comment

Well, I've got one of Scott's Celtic Edanas which is basically a JTM45. The KT-66s sound fantastic in it in "SWEET" mode & get a nice bit of bite in either "*****" mode or with the channels jumpered.

Doesn't the weber copper cap have a versionjthat has no sag?
                    ]
                    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I think so & I was actually talking to Scott about that when I had the amp built.

..................for the cost, it would be worth trying. They're only like $20-30 bucks.

Comment

I don't mess with those or those E34L's that he tries to push. If you want the EL34 sound, EL34's is what you use.

Comment

The JTM is basically a 59 Bassman...later Marshalls aren't and I prefer the EL34s in those amps....A 59 Bassman is all about the 6L6/5881 tubes though..

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                            I don't mess with those or those E34L's that he tries to push. If you want the EL34 sound, EL34's is what you use.
                            To me the 1959,1987,2203,and 2204 amps are all about EL34s to get the best grind from these amps...But no harm in trying whatever might work.

Comment

Dunno a Park 75 has some good Marshall bite too
                              And that thing has a pair of big KT-88's.

Comment

Working...
                              X