got's a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got's a problem

that 6v6 with the black top on it, it's glowin all sorts of blue. Is it sposed to be like that?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: got's a problem

c'mon, I know someone knows.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I honestly don't know, but this is what I found...

My tubes glow blue - is this OK??
      There are two reasons a bottle (!) may glow blue.

Have a careful look. If there are patches of blue glowing on the glass, probably with fairly sharp edges, it's due to electrons missing the anode and hitting the glass instead, making it flouresce. (Most of the tube envelope may even glow. -ed) Quite pretty, and you can play for hours, moving the patch with a magnet... (Don't electrocute yourself!) This kind of glow is common with beam tetrodes and is completely harmless. (This type of glow is by far the most common. -ed)

However, if there is a fuzzy blue glow in the space in the bottle (inside the plate, or streamers coming out -ed) it's due to traces of gases in what should be a vaccuum. The valve has gone soft. Bad news for the valve as ions will bombard the cathode, shortening its life. Also, the trace of gas can break down leading to an internal arc. A soft valve set will sound slightly different, especially in amps without feedback, as the presence of ionised gas affects the transconductance and secondary emission. (This is fairly rare. -ed)

-HTH

For additional information, see the Blue Glow in Tubes FAQ at

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

or a couple of documents transcribed from old tube manuals at
      http://barney.webace.com.au/~electron/tubes/blueglo.htm .

My tubes glow orange or yellow - is this OK??
      This is not only normal, it's a requirement of tube operation. This glow normally comes from the tube's heater, or filament, which heats the cathode so that the tube conducts properly. If you don't see this, and your amp doesn't seem to be working properly, check the amp in the dark (some tubes, esp. Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes) have a filament glow which is very difficult to see. If you still aren't sure, let the amp warm up for a few minutes. Then, place a fingertip near each tube in turn. If the tube is not hot, the filament is burned out and you need to replace it.

NOTE - be careful; even a brief touch to a hot tube can burn you badly enough to cause blisters.

My tubes glow red - is this OK??
      First, read the orange glow question above. Is the color you're seeing orange, coming from the top and bottom of the tube's "guts"? If so, you're OK.

BUT... if the plate, or any part of it, especially in a power tube, is actually glowing red (even a faint red) shut the amp off at once and find out what the problem is. Otherwise, you will certainly destroy the tubes. You could also destroy other parts of your amp, resulting in a huge expense to repair it. Take the amp to a good tube amp tech, or start asking question in AGA, if you think you want to learn how to work on things yourself.
      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
      Originally posted by Slash2987
      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
      Originally posted by PVFan
      I'm a good sex man.
      Originally posted by Grumpy
      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I think that tubes got something to do with the insane amount of hum, and the reason I cant get any sound from any of my electrics. 4 different guitars and 4 differnt cords. Leads me to believe it's the amp, ya know.

Comment

Glowing blue = BAD TUBE.

Comment

could it be fixed by just simply replacing the tube? And what about the other one in the pic, does it look good?

Comment

The other one looks like I'd expect a tube to look. The thing is you're going to want to make sure those tubes are at least somewhat matched. Get that one checked and make sure the tube you get to replace it is somewhere in the neighborhood. Or spring for a "matched" NOS set from a reputable dealer.

OTOH, I've heard of good 6v6 tubes being made nowadays...
              Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
              I'm a good sex man.

Comment

I picked up a single Groove Tubes 6v6 today to replace one with a broken base. I figured that one was the problem, but I guess not.

Comment

whatsthe difference between a single 6v6 and a matched set of 6v6's? I'd figure that they'd all be pretty close, right?

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                    whatsthe difference between a single 6v6 and a matched set of 6v6's? I'd figure that they'd all be pretty close, right?
                    Remember the amp is a push pull type thing- current goes through one tube, then the other- the idea is that you want the tubes to respond similarly- hence being "matched." Matched tubes doesn't necessarily mean 2 old RCAs, or 2 GTs, just that the characteristics of the two tubes are similar.

In your case- if you've got 2 GE tubes in your amp and you replace one with a new GT- that's fine as long as the remaining GE tube tests out the same as the GT tube.
                    I'm a good sex man.

Comment

would I have a better responding amp if I replaced the last 2 6v6's with GT's like the one I've already replaced?

Comment

Working...
                      X