DSL 50 underpowered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DSL 50 underpowered?

Some guys like a 100, not totally from a loudness or a head room perspective, but rather from a tonal prefrence. Four power tubes can give a more complex mix of harmonics, compared to two power tubes, when run fairly clean.

Additionaly, a 100 hit's the speakers harder, and that can effect the tone in unique way depending on the speakers and the cab. Some speaker models sound shallow and extra bright behind a 50 watt amp, compared to how they perform behind a 100.

Some feel the 100's have a certian "raunch" in the low end that other amps don't, although this "raunch" isn't really apparent unless a cranked non master volume 100 amp is in use..... What? ?? what did you say??...

Comment

If I recall correctly, there were two modes to run the clean channel on the DSL50. One mode was meant to emulate the JCM 800 and the other was just out and out clean (I'm working from memory here as I owned the amp for three months). The "clean" mode does in fact hurt for headroom compared to the volume of the other mode (and definitely compared to the other channel with the super duper gain modes).
      PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
      PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
      GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
      Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
      Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
      various pedals

Comment

When I got my first "real" guitar amp, it was a 100w non-master Marshall. There were no places that I could play that amp and have it sound good on it's own. The guys in my band convinced me to trade it for a 100w MV model. For some reason I had it in my head that I *needed* 100w. I traded that one for a different 100w- and then somewhere along the line I figured out that all the guys around town that I dug were all playing 50w Marshalls. I traded that 100w for a 50w MV and I was closer than I'd ever been in producing the sound I heard in my head. After trading amps around a few more times, I've found my ideal amp- a 50w. I also have a 50w Park.

I'm not just "settling" for the 50w- I just wish I hadn't had it in my head that I needed 100w right off the bat.
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I know this isn't the same amp by a long shot, but I've used my 50 watt Mesa for ... um....10+ years now and never had lack of power be an issue.

Comment

My band's last rhythm guitarist had a DSL 100 halfstack and I could easily keep up with his volume with my DSL 50. I noticed more of a volume difference with a speaker change (Vintage 30's to Greenbacks) than with a wattage change. The only way you could tell the difference btween our 2 through the same cab is that his clean channel sounded better at high volumes. This is mainly a headroom issue, but the DSL 50's clean still sounds great.
            CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
            2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
            2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
            2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
            Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
            lots 'o pedals

Comment

Originally posted by FuelGTRX
              My band's last rhythm guitarist had a DSL 100 halfstack and I could easily keep up with his volume with my DSL 50. I noticed more of a volume difference with a speaker change (Vintage 30's to Greenbacks) than with a wattage change. The only way you could tell the difference btween our 2 through the same cab is that his clean channel sounded better at high volumes. This is mainly a headroom issue, but the DSL 50's clean still sounds great.
              Excellant post.

Comment

Working...
              X