banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How to bring 14.3V AC down to 12V AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How to bring 14.3V AC down to 12V AC?

hey again! can someone show me a schematic of how to do this? thanks!
    Last edited by ShredMAN; 02-27-2006, 07:01 PM.

Re: Help! How to bring 14.3V AC down to 12V AC?

Generally, the only way to convert one AC voltage to another is through a transformer. You aren't likely to find one with that particular ratio. What is your source, and what is your application?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Generally, the only way to convert one AC voltage to another is through a transformer. You aren't likely to find one with that particular ratio. What is your source, and what is your application?
      I'm wiring a pedal that has 2 actual circuits in it. One of the circuits runs has tubes (hence the AC current), and the other is SS. The wall current goes through a transformer (which was specified with 12.6V secondaries, but in reality regulated the AC voltage to 14.3V) then to either the ac powered circuit or a rectifier circuit that changed the AC to DC voltage and cleans up any power ripples.

Comment

Well.. I was pretty sure that a transformer was the only way to solve this... but I had a littel hope... Hahaha. I guess I'll try to find another transformer and try again from there... thanks anyway Artie! You've been a great help!

Comment

Did you measure that 14.3 with no load attached? That transformer may very well do 12.6 with a proper load. Try measuring it with a load. Be careful!

Comment

Did you measure that 14.3 with no load attached? That transformer may very well do 12.6 with a proper load. Try measuring it with a load. Be careful!
            Propper load? Artie, I'm not worthy of your wisdom!!! Can you specify? I know my way around electronics pretty well, but not that well... Haha. You should see how careful I am when I measure this stuff... It's rediculous... Haha

Comment

Lets say you have a transformer that designed to run a pedal at 12 volts. If you measure its output when it isn't plugged into the pedal, it may well read 14 - 16 volts. Does the transformer you're using have a current rating on it? Like sometimes, they'll say 600ma, or 1200ma. That type of thing. Is this a wall-wart type of thing?

Is this a home-built system, or a commercial product? Was this transformer made for this particular system?

Comment

Lets say you have a transformer that designed to run a pedal at 12 volts. If you measure its output when it isn't plugged into the pedal, it may well read 14 - 16 volts. Does the transformer you're using have a current rating on it? Like sometimes, they'll say 600ma, or 1200ma. That type of thing. Is this a wall-wart type of thing?

Is this a home-built system, or a commercial product? Was this transformer made for this particular system?
                That's what I assumed. It's a 1200ma transformer, and it's from -hold your breath- radioshack. I know, I know... electrician's worst nightmare. That's why I was quick to believe that the transformer was faulty. Radioshack's tolerance %'s on their stuff is terrible in some cases. This is just a diy project, so the transformer isn't meant for specifically this.

Comment

You could put a 10 ohm resistor across its output, and then measure it. The problem is, you need a really big, expensive one. Like in the 20 watt range. Even then, you'ld only want power on it for a moment or two. Just long enough to measure the output.

Really though, your 14.3 should be fine for a 12.6 volt project. The transformer will drop a little bit with a load.

Then again . . . I don't really want to tell you to hook A to B without knowing better what you're doing.

Long distance troubleshooting can get one of us fried. Probably be you.

Comment

You could put a 10 ohm resistor across its output, and then measure it. The problem is, you need a really big, expensive one. Like in the 20 watt range. Even then, you'ld only want power on it for a moment or two. Just long enough to measure the output.

Really though, your 14.3 should be fine for a 12.6 volt project. The transformer will drop a little bit with a load.

Then again . . . I don't really want to tell you to hook A to B without knowing better what you're doing.

Long distance troubleshooting can get one of us fried. Probably be you.
                    Haha, Good point. I just did some quick calculations... the voltage i need to give the circuit WITHOUT load is 13.8V AC roughly. With load, this drops down to about 12.6 V. Would running the 14.3V AC transformer cause much of a problem seeing as it would drop down to about 13.3V with the load? Thanks for your time again Artie!

Comment

You're probably safe, but it's so hard to say without knowing exactly what you're doing. One and a half volts isn't a big deal in many circuits, but then again, I'm not sure what your circuit is.

Comment

You're probably safe, but it's so hard to say without knowing exactly what you're doing. One and a half volts isn't a big deal in many circuits, but then again, I'm not sure what your circuit is.
                        Actually, it'd be only .6V. The amount that it's supposed to run on is 12.6, not 12 V. Anyway, thanks artie, you've helped me a ton!

Comment

Use a 12v light bulb for a load. Get a 12v halogen lamp or a tail light replacement bulb at any auto parts store
                          Last edited by Chaos; 02-27-2006, 08:25 PM.
                          THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
                          1. Quit your whining.
                          2. Quit your crying.
                          3. Suck it up.
                          If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Working...
                          X