• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tweed vs Marshall

Comment

Modelling....bah it sounds like..pooh
      Well still does, it is kinda hard "emulating" fat powersupplies and and so on.

Comment

Alright! I settle this once in for all. The early Marshall was Not a exact copy of a 59' Bassman,Rather a shameless Knock off to circumnavigate shipping Fee's. Can we all agree on that? Or is it better to say it was based on the 5F6-A Bassman circuit ? Or should I just do this? LOL!!
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97

Sometimes I wish youl ived closer Christian,so I could slap the piss outta you! LOL ;o)

How many Marshall amps have you fixed,or modded buddy?You know I have....;o)
          John, I noticed that you edited your post after I stopped making posts...to be honest I didn't really want to argue about it anymore. The circuts in a 5F6-A Tweed bassman are very, very similar but as you know there are differences and those differenced to make the amps sound a bit different...no question about that. You are one of the guys on the forum that I really enjoy reading posts from, swapping PM's with and learning from as well. I meant nothing by disagreeing with you but the truth is you said in one of your posts that the amps were exactally the same...this is just not the truth. Since you brought up "The History of Marshall" by Michael Doyle I will ask you to flip (in the same book) to page 21 (thats right...I have that book too!) and read "Technical Comparison of Marshall JTM 45 and Fender Bassman. Starting at the top of the second page Steve Grindrod starts with a list of the differences between the 2 amps...he lists 8 differences including output and power transformers, chassis, speakers, phase issues, tubes, an extra bright cap, etc. To answer your questions that were added to your post after the fact the answers are below.

Im gonna say nothing about the first comment...as for the number of Marshalls I have fixed and or modded...

-I built one 5F6-A Bassman circuit from scratch them modded it after it was done, the mods included a few Marshall type tweaks then converting it to a 1x12 combo

-I converted one SF Bassman to a Marshall 1987 circut first with the Fender transformers, then with a Marshall output tranny.

-I took a 1979 JMP 100 watter that was a basket case and converted it to Plexi 1959 circut. Made it a 4 imput and converted it to all PTP, new board and all...the only mods I made to it were to add a post phase inverter master volume since it was a 100 watt.

-I built a different 1987 circut from scratch but used a 7027A power section from an Ampeg circut...that was a beast of an amp. My brother still has it!

-Built one 18 watt Marshall from scratch.

-I have also built 3 or 4 other Fender circuts from scratch as well as modded just about every amp I have ever owned. Except my Vibrolux (it's on a PCB and I like messing with PCB amps and my Sound City 50+ and it sounds great as is.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I always edit my posts if I think I've left something out.... ;o)

Great for you Christian...I Listed the differences that I Knew about...The circuit is still a copy of the 5F6-A Bassman....That was my whole point...No coincidence! I Love a challenge anyway and it's not a big deal really...The debate has no bearing on my end as far as the frienship.... ;o)

Read the top of page 17 in that same book and you'll see where my info is coming from.....I don't post unless I can back it up,as you know!

What we'll have to agree on here is this....The JTM 45 was a 59 Fender Bassman,but sounded different because it was built over in England using what they had available to them....Both amps are still the 5F6-A circuit...That's what I'm saying and the book says that also....I'll take the word "exact" out of this equation and that was an extreme statement since we're talking about accuracy here....You couldn't expect Ken Bran or Jim Marshall to say they copied the Bassman "exactly" but they did say it was the building ground for their own amp because several British rockers wanted a Bassman....That's their way of politely saying they copied the Bassman! Why wouldn't they copy the amp since they loved it so much? After that they did what alot of other guys do all the time and that is tweak some components...

Marshall got away with doing this,simply because Fender didn't have a patent on the same circuit....Fender got away from the cathode follower circuit from this point on and Marshall has stayed with it...If Marshall could have got the exact same transformers as Fender,instead of using surplus stuff,I'm sure they could have made the amp even closer to the Fender....The idea about using 4x12 cabs was from Pete Townsend who wanted bigger,and louder at the time.... LOL

I'm not disputing any tonal differences and both are phenomenal amps,I'm just saying that a Marshall started out as a 5F6-A 59 Bassman "Copy"....... ;o)
            Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-01-2006, 10:02 AM.
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Similar designs I reckon...but honestly don't care...I'll leave all the technical mumbo jumbo to the amp doctors.

Tonally WAYYyyyyyyy different....and ultimately thats all that matters...the sound.

That said I agree with Corbic, tweed fenders are where its at, AFAIC. I much prefer a Bassman over a Twin for example. Basman is more raw, crunchy, and agressive. Tweeds are too pristine for my tastes.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

-I have also built 3 or 4 other Fender circuts from scratch as well as modded just about every amp I have ever owned. Except my Vibrolux (it's on a PCB and I like messing with PCB amps and my Sound City 50+ and it sounds great as is.
                And you know how much I hate PCB technology in my vintage tube amps! ;o)
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB

Similar designs I reckon...but honestly don't care...I'll leave all the technical mumbo jumbo to the amp doctors.

Tonally WAYYyyyyyyy different....and ultimately thats all that matters...the sound.

That said I agree with Corbic, tweed fenders are where its at, AFAIC. I much prefer a Bassman over a Twin for example. Basman is more raw, crunchy, and agressive. Tweeds are too pristine for my tastes.

Hey who asked you Jeff....You don't even know the difference between a capacitor and a resistor for God's Sake! I'm an amp Doctor! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    Hey who asked you Jeff....You don't even know the difference between a capacitor and a resistor for God's Sake! I'm an amp Doctor! LOL
                    :hangsheadinshame:
                    :takestoysandleavesthesandbox:
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Oh yeah..and the difference is one letter!

I'm not as think as you stupid I am

:fing25:

:runs:

Comment

What was the last year that Bassman's were true PTP? 1980?
                        Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

When people speak in terms of "tweed" vrs "Marshall". I don't think they are comparing a Bassman and a 45. I think they make be speaking more of eras. The Tweed era of amps is the late 50's. Marshalls (and I think most people are thinking of a Plexi) were made in the 60's. Tonally these eras are light years away from each other. Wheather the circuits are the same or not.
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                            When people speak in terms of "tweed" vrs "Marshall". I don't think they are comparing a Bassman and a 45. I think they make be speaking more of eras. The Tweed era of amps is the late 50's. Marshalls (and I think most people are thinking of a Plexi) were made in the 60's. Tonally these eras are light years away from each other. Wheather the circuits are the same or not.
                            Thanks Bludave. I thought that Tweed was pre-Bassman as well...although the Bassman is often included in the "tweed" category.
                            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I wonder how many will get that first line, bro. I got it right away.

Comment

LOL.....And you know how deep and how far you can stick them green fingers there Jeffy!

Comment

Working...
                                X