One amp to rule them . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One amp to rule them . . .

Well, since it seems that I'll be getting rid of my little amps over the next few months, I've got some questions to beg from the knowledgable amp guys here. What amps would you suggest that are around 400 - 500 $, tube, can stay clean in normal gig settings (small bars, jam sessions), sound great when played very quiet (practice levels), and are very portable (can be lifted with one hand)? If it's not asking too much, cool looks would be nice . . . but aren't really all that important I suppose. I play funk, reggae, blues, rock, and a little Jazz. I've got pedals, so I don't care about channel switching/a great distorted channel so much. I'm hoping this can be the last amp that I ever buy . . . but we'll see about that . . . Any suggestions welcome . . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: One amp to rule them . . .

A small Fender combo or even 1 of the new Traynors might fit the bill. I expect someone can recommend you something, as I don't have a great deal of experience in this area.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

In fact, the more I think about it the 50w Traynor Blue might fit the bill.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Try to get these used
        V-32 Palomino
        Fender Blues Deluxe
        Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues
        Traynor 50

or new

V-16 Palomino
        Fender Blues or Pro Jr.
        Originally posted by tone4days
        we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Is a 30 watt tube amp really loud enough to stay clean at gigging volumes?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv
            Is a 30 watt tube amp really loud enough to stay clean at gigging volumes?
            As long as your drummer isn't King Kong and you mic your amp, it is more than sufficient............ works for me anyway.
            Originally posted by tone4days
            we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I've been using a Deluxe Reverb for about 2 years now and in most small situations its a great amp. As Bill said it may come down to miking the amp and working with a drummer that doesn't crush the drums. The Deluxe Reverb will probably cost more than the amount of $ you mention, but its a better amp than some of the others suggested. The Hot Rod Deluxe is a chnnel switching amp that has a good clean channel and IMO a not so good drive channel. The channel switching Fenders share the EQ so it can be hard to get a good sound out of both channels. They do take pedals very well.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
              X