George L Cable...the best???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

do you work at Andertons? with Rob and Pete?
    No sir! I dont do You Tube videos regularly at all -Im helping conceptualize and perform tests on a couple developing episodes for others
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It's hilarious to me that guitarists will sneer at things like quick connect clips inside of amps - instead demanding all hand wired construction with soldered eyelet boards. And they'll also want to make sure every connection inside their guitar is soldered and secure. But for your pedal patch cables? Get that nasty tone sucking solder out of here! I want my signal entirely reliant on friction screw down connection!
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
        It's hilarious to me that guitarists will sneer at things like quick connect clips inside of amps - instead demanding all hand wired construction with soldered eyelet boards. And they'll also want to make sure every connection inside their guitar is soldered and secure. But for your pedal patch cables? Get that nasty tone sucking solder out of here! I want my signal entirely reliant on friction screw down connection!
        So it's interesting you mention this, as Solder is not a mechanical connection metal to metal of course -its a transitional substrate making a connection between the 2 conductors. High end mechanical connections are actually better if they are certain standard (Wire Wrap on a post being the best, with Punch down somewhere behind) and a mechanical connection then soldered is likely the best overall. My criticism of mechanical connections like screw downs you see in guitar patch systems is the they are tension based in one vector (unlike a wire wrap system or punch down) and much like a Molex capture will fail overtime without a secondary system or maintenence. So if your up for retensioning and checking on occasion -they make a great option -and Im sure they are getting better all of the time.

-me personally, I'm not doing anything for a live show where there isnt an element of mechanical connection and solder so I dont have to think about it.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My main cable is George L. But I solder. I don't trust plug-'n-play.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

So it's interesting you mention this, as Solder is not a mechanical connection metal to metal of course -its a transitional substrate making a connection between the 2 conductors. High end mechanical connections are actually better if they are certain standard (Wire Wrap on a post being the best, with Punch down somewhere behind) and a mechanical connection then soldered is likely the best overall. My criticism of mechanical connections like screw downs you see in guitar patch systems is the they are tension based in one vector (unlike a wire wrap system or punch down) and much like a Molex capture will fail overtime without a secondary system or maintenence. So if your up for retensioning and checking on occasion -they make a great option -and Im sure they are getting better all of the time.

-me personally, I'm not doing anything for a live show where there isnt an element of mechanical connection and solder so I dont have to think about it.
            With punch down you got me thinking, not about patch cables, but quick wiring inside my guitars. A punch down strip would be smaller (at least in height) and faster to use than the Liberator-style screw terminal strips I've used in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              My main cable is George L. But I solder. I don't trust plug-'n-play.
              You solder the George L ?
              Can we get a bit more detail?
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

You solder the George L ?
                Can we get a bit more detail?
                I bought the unterminated George L cable, but used either Switchcraft or Neutrik ends, which I solder normally.

Comment

That sounds way better than what i had imagined
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

One of the problems I have with calling any audio cable directional, is that AC itself is not directional. The electrons don't flow in any direction. They vibrate back and forth at whatever the current frequency is at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      One of the problems I have with calling any audio cable directional, is that AC itself is not directional. The electrons don't flow in any direction. They vibrate back and forth at whatever the current frequency is at the moment.
                      Directional cables are just shield lifted at one end -no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Directional cables are just shield lifted at one end -no big deal.
                        I get that. But I think there are some "audio" people who don't.

Comment

Working...
                        X