5881 versus EL34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5881 versus EL34

"Polite" is a good way of putting it. I like my Marshalls to be rude, and that means EL34's in the power section. The Chinese pre-amp tubes I didn't have much of a problem with. I did prefer the Sovtek's when they came out though. Now, EH for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      "Polite" is a good way of putting it. I like my Marshalls to be rude, and that means EL34's in the power section. The Chinese pre-amp tubes I didn't have much of a problem with. I did prefer the Sovtek's when they came out though. Now, EH for me.
      Yes....Agree with you 100%...

I Love 6L6 tubes in my BF Fender stuff,but not in my vintage Marshall...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        You mean Chinese....
        no, he said japanese - hitachi or something. weird, aint it? he changed tubes like 3x already.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner
          no, he said japanese - hitachi or something. weird, aint it? he changed tubes like 3x already.
          The Japanese haven't made any tubes in ions that I Know of? Those must be older tubes..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

tubes, ions... nice slip.

I've got a set of these new production Mullard (new sensor) EL34's and have not had a chance to pop them into the Matchless yet. I hope to have some reports out soon on them.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
              tubes, ions... nice slip.

I've got a set of these new production Mullard (new sensor) EL34's and have not had a chance to pop them into the Matchless yet. I hope to have some reports out soon on them.
              Scott....Hope they're better than some of the reviews I'm reading about them?

Comment

The Japanese haven't made any tubes in ions that I Know of? Those must be older tubes..
                must be... i was really surprised myself when he said japanese... the tubes used in guitar amps are the same tubes used in audiophile stereo systems right? maybe twas from those stereo amplifiers, just re-branded stuff?

Comment

must be... i was really surprised myself when he said japanese... the tubes used in guitar amps are the same tubes used in audiophile stereo systems right? maybe twas from those stereo amplifiers, just re-branded stuff?
                  Pretty much "all" tubes we are buying today are from Russia,China,and places outside of Russia...And yes,audio guys are in the same boat..

Comment

Pretty much "all" tubes we are buying today are from Russia,China,and places outside of Russia...And yes,audio guys are in the same boat..
                    so GT are just re-branded tubes right? i mean, GT is an american brand afterall. if yes, then maybe that's the reason why he said japanese, because of the brand.

Comment

so GT are just re-branded tubes right? i mean, GT is an american brand afterall. if yes, then maybe that's the reason why he said japanese, because of the brand.
                      Well.....GT does have their own tube(The 6L6)but yes,they thoroughly match their tubes and started this trend several years ago...Re-branding is pretty much what all the companies are doing though..

You could have a GT 12AX7C Chinese tube and you can buy another 12AX7C branded Fender etc....

Comment

Well.....GT does have their own tube(The 6L6)but yes,they thoroughly match their tubes and started this trend several years ago...Re-branding is pretty much what all the companies are doing though..

You could have a GT 12AX7C Chinese tube and you can buy another 12AX7C branded Fender etc....
                        the local guitar shops here are pretty much all fenders and EH tubes... i better check those out... coz if im getting the 4501, then i'm going to have to change the tubes...

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X