Vox valvatronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox valvatronix

How close to the original amps are the models on this? How much will I suffer dynmanics?
    thanks
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Re: Vox valvatronix

THey sound like recorded versions of the amp. I've gotten the chance to play about 7 of the 11 amps, some very close, some are pretty off.

But it really sounds like they had all the settings on the amps they modeled set to 9 o' Clock, recorded it and modeled it around that. They really do not respond in anyway similar to the real amps.

But as far as affordable practice amps, these things do sound pretty good. And there's not much anyting better for the money.
    Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

Thanks.
      Does anyone here own this amp and are familier with the original? Just want a comparsion. Mainly concerned with the marshall ones
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I have the ad30vt, but i think the 50 might have a much better sounding speaker.

The JCM800 model, very accurate, but sounds like the presence was set to 3, and you can't adjust presence on the amp. A little bit darker and more compressed than the 800, but the speaker could possibly be the problem.

The Plexi model, sounds fairly accurate, but the midrange is not there as much as in a real amp. The bass is also very flubby on this model. The gain control doesnt respond in the same way the volume does on the plexi. THe way i like to describe the model is a JTM45/Aerosmith sound.

The JCM2000 model, now this one is very off from the DSL100 that it models. No mids at all compared to the real amp, sounds like the lead 2 of the ultragain channel, but not as thick. This is one of my least favorite models on all of the amp.
        Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

thanks. I was thinking the 12 inch speaker would be the best model.

What about getting the head and plugging into my 1x12 Celestian GT-75?
          Last edited by Reckless Abandon; 03-14-2006, 09:33 PM.
          Epiphone LP Special w/JB
          Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

it would be cheaper and less of a pain in the ass(although not really) to get the 100w head instead of the 50w combo and switching speakers, but the head could be too powerful for the speaker.
            Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

I always suggest to buy the heads, NOT the combos. Half the sound of an amp is the speakers and enclosure, so it's best to use the head on a quality cab.

The Valvetronix AD60 head is something I plug into nearly every day because it makes a great home practice rig. It's tweakability is endless, so the tones you'll get are only as good as your dialing skill. For example, some amps weren't intended for highgain, so they don't sound good with the gain up. You're doing the right thing if you try to get each model to sound the way it actually does on the tube amp. Also, you're given 3 OD's to choose from, so most amp models sound best if you strike a balance between the amp gain and OD gain.......just like a tube rig. I never have the OD models off....I even use them in a subtle way to make the clean tones have more punch and sparkle.

The Marshall models only sound good if you use a Marshall cabinet. The highgain tones are always good, and the cleans sound best with the master high and the volumes low, with a tiny bit of OD giving it punch.

I strongly suggest getting the head version, and use it with the same cab you put your tube head on.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                I always suggest to buy the heads, NOT the combos. Half the sound of an amp is the speakers and enclosure, so it's best to use the head on a quality cab.

The Valvetronix AD60 head is something I plug into nearly every day because it makes a great home practice rig. It's tweakability is endless, so the tones you'll get are only as good as your dialing skill. For example, some amps weren't intended for highgain, so they don't sound good with the gain up. You're doing the right thing if you try to get each model to sound the way it actually does on the tube amp. Also, you're given 3 OD's to choose from, so most amp models sound best if you strike a balance between the amp gain and OD gain.......just like a tube rig. I never have the OD models off....I even use them in a subtle way to make the clean tones have more punch and sparkle.

The Marshall models only sound good if you use a Marshall cabinet. The highgain tones are always good, and the cleans sound best with the master high and the volumes low, with a tiny bit of OD giving it punch.

I strongly suggest getting the head version, and use it with the same cab you put your tube head on.
                So the marshall models will have the same thick gain as the tube amp? This may be a winner.
                Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I cannot find a 60 watt head. 2 questions.
                  1. will the 100 watt lowering the wattage output prevent my 70 watt speaker from blowing?
                  2. Can I disconect the stock speaker in a 50 watt combo and plug mine into the external speaker jack? My speaker is 16 ohms and it calls for 8
                  Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                  Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Do a search under Vox Valvetronix amp....There's alot on the topic....I've posted alot about my own 120 watt stereo head....Absolutely love mine!

GJ is dead on as always! ;o)
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have not tried the Heads on a real cab...
                      I can say though that the 30/50 w and ToneLab SE marshall models are so "off" from the real deal it's sad. The 60/120 W combos are a little better than the 15/30/50w.The low end is not right, the mids are not even close. Line6 is a far better animal in that respect. I did a tube-swap in the SE, and it helped, but I'd still rather play my ss Lead 12 run through the Atomic..at least the vocing is correct, if a bit buzzy.

The Vox def has a more tube-like feel and touch dynamics vs/ the Line6..and the effects are better/warmer on the Vox. The Fender/Vox/Soldano models are the most authentic sounding to my ears on the VT line. The JTM 45 is the only fairly accurate Marshall model, IMO. PLexi/800/900/TSL are just wrong.

I have a hard time recomending them if you are gonna spend alot of time on the Marshall models. But I trust the ears of the fellas here using the heads/cabs..if they say they sound much better that way, I'm sure they do. But the combos...meh...
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                        I have not tried the Heads on a real cab...
                        I can say though that the 30/50 w and ToneLab SE marshall models are so "off" from the real deal it's sad. The 60/120 W combos are a little better than the 15/30/50w.The low end is not right, the mids are not even close. Line6 is a far better animal in that respect. I did a tube-swap in the SE, and it helped, but I'd still rather play my ss Lead 12 run through the Atomic..at least the vocing is correct, if a bit buzzy.

The Vox def has a more tube-like feel and touch dynamics vs/ the Line6..and the effects are better/warmer on the Vox. The Fender/Vox/Soldano models are the most authentic sounding to my ears on the VT line. The JTM 45 is the only fairly accurate Marshall model, IMO. PLexi/800/900/TSL are just wrong.

I have a hard time recomending them if you are gonna spend alot of time on the Marshall models. But I trust the ears of the fellas here using the heads/cabs..if they say they sound much better that way, I'm sure they do. But the combos...meh...
                        Jeff.....My favorite tones in the amp actually aren't the Marshall ones and I agree with you....The mids are weird on the "Plexi" model....I Like the JCM 800 and the modern UK tones,but this amp really requires the right cab and celestions or Brit sounding speakers to get the mids right...Early on the Marshall models drove me crazy and I was running an eq into the effects loop to get the mids right....Wasn't until I went with V30s that it started sounding right....

The funny thing is....When I Plug into my 50 watt Marshall head into either my 2x12 or the 4x12 cab,I say "Holy sh$t" and I don't need a copy of the real thing,I just play through the real thing!.....The Vox is a great amp though as far as versatility and it's built in effects,especially for the $600 price I paid for it....It's been consistent and even though some of the Marshall tones aren't quite there,some of the other presets are great and I've really dialed up some nice tones! The BF 2x12, Vox presets,and the 59 Tweed are really nice presets...The bulit in effects aren't too bad either...

It's really a nice amp for the most part...I Love plugging into this thing at home and being able to dial in different styles of tones for practicing and learning songs....I've gigged quite a bit with mine also with 0 problems to date...Fingers crossed! LOL
                        Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-15-2006, 09:24 AM.
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have the AD-60 for home practice and it's good for that. Hi-gain at TV volume is pretty cool, but for me it doesn't come close to the experience of playing a cranked tube amp. If you can play at loud volume and want Marshall tones, consider something like the Marshall DSL-50 head, they can be had for about $700 used (plus you'll need a cab). I think you'll be way more inspired.
                          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

The Vox Valvtronics look way too much like the originals. Just my opinion, but Vox amps need a cosmetic make over. They do have a unique look. But, it's an ugly look, IMHO.

But apparently they sound good! You gotta love that? You can always put a sheet over 'em.
                            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                              The Vox Valvtronics look way too much like the originals. Just my opinion, but Vox amps need a cosmetic make over. They do have a unique look. But, it's an ugly look, IMHO.

But apparently they sound good! You gotta love that? You can always put a sheet over 'em.
                              LOL......The Valvetronix amps don't share the same grille cloth colors and they look kinda geeky to me! ;o)

I Like mine though and I'm pretty fussy with my tones....

Comment

Working...
                              X