Buffer vs Better Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buffer vs Better Cable

Think of a buffer as a signal recovery unit. The more pedals and/or longer cables you use, the more signal that gets lost. Putting a buffer at the end of the pedalboard right before the cable to the amp helps kick the signal back up to where it should be so it can travel along the long cable run and retain a good strong signal.

Back in the day, both KK Downing and Glenn Tipton had a buffer between EVERY pedal on their boards including one at the end.
    Last edited by ErikH; 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I personally have always hated pedals without buffers, or old fashion impedance.
      It have been that way for almost 20 years, only tb thing I see any use of is when it is done to the wah, well hehe.
      Have always used good cables for as long as I can remember, Monarch Neopren cables with Switchcraft jacks, still have three of those cables, the rest is handed out to a few friends, who plays more jobs than I do now
      They are at least 18 years old.
      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 03-15-2006, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
        I'd rather just use a decent cable than go through that sort brain damage. In the long run, it's cheaper and less hassle.
        That's true, I'm not trying to compensate for cheap cables. I just figure it'll be a fun little electronics project.
        formerly n00b

Comment

Originally posted by n00b
          That's true, I'm not trying to compensate for cheap cables. I just figure it'll be a fun little electronics project.
          If you're looking for a buffer project, put it in a small box that clips on to your guitar strap. That way you won't be pissed off every time you need to access your guitar's control cavity to changed the !#%*ing battery.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
            If you're looking for a buffer project, put it in a small box that clips on to your guitar strap. That way you won't be pissed off every time you need to access your guitar's control cavity to changed the !#%*ing battery.
            That's a great Idea.

If you use a buffer signal with crappy cable, the buffer will strengthen the signal and will improve the tonal quality of the cables? As ErikH posted I can make a buffer for much less than a bunch of GeorgeL cable will cost. But it would sure be great to have some George L cable too. A buffer + Georgle L cable would really sound good, right?

Thanks for the information guys.
            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Just use a good cable!
              Lava Man
              Lava Cable
              Your One-Stop High End Custom Cable Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Lava Man
                Just use a good cable!
                Well, Lava man. It looks like you've got the goods. What the best bang for the buck cable? IYHO. If you can say.

Most around here say George L. What say you?
                Last edited by Guitar Toad; 03-15-2006, 11:51 PM.
                Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I wish wireless didnt kill tone and wasnt so damn expensive (i want to walk freely on stage not trip and break the socket on my guitar cos of it)
                  Gondola Kid
                  Bandcamp
                  Facebook
                  JimijaymesGuitarist
                  Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock
                    I want to walk freely on stage not trip and break the socket on my guitar cos of it
                    Loop the cord over the strap button. Unless you're running when you hit the end of your tether, you'll be fine.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

the leads to my amp (from pedals) always get in the way (im a singer centre stage)
                      Gondola Kid
                      Bandcamp
                      Facebook
                      JimijaymesGuitarist
                      Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                        I love the wireless concept: We go crazy over strings, picks, pickups, pots, caps, wire, nuts, bolts, frets, neck pocket specs, tenon lengths, scale, fret size, pickup height, etc. and then we broadcast our tone via UHF!
                        LOL....

While I'm always a bit wary as soon as anything is done w/ radio frequency (I worked too long as a Taxi-dispatcher to really trust radios), a good wireless is IMO and IME the most effective way to transfer the signal from a guitar with minimal loss of clarity

Originally posted by James Rock
                        I wish wireless didnt kill tone and wasnt so damn expensive (i want to walk freely on stage not trip and break the socket on my guitar cos of it)
                        I´m curious, could you please define "kill tone".... About 90% of the wirelesses I´ve used were clearer and more open in response than any cable I´ve tried, the very much akin to switching from A "250k MVol/MTone" to a "500k MVol only" pot setup... practically no effect on the low end, save maybe a minimal extension to the range. Is this your experience as well or did it "kill" something else?
                        Last edited by Zerberus; 03-18-2006, 05:57 AM.
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

well i heard they add noise and make everything really glassy and harsh.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X