Tubes for my mesa boogie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for my mesa boogie

My amp is a studio .22, and she needs new tubes (2 in the power section, 5 in the preamp).

But i dont know what to get!

I know she takes el84's in the power section. But what type? I also read somewhere that it was auto biasing? does that mean i need to buy a certain type of tube?

Would like to replace the preamp tubes as well, it as 12ax7's now....can i use any type of preamp tube i want?

If i could change anything about the amp, i'd like a bit more clean headroom (if possible). And its a bit noisy at times...would a certain type of tube be less susceptible of noise?

Could anyone make some recommendations?

And once i get the tubes, if someone could be nice enough to show me how to replace em, that would be tops ( i have a guitar tech down the road if you think its too risky though!)
    Also, i read one of our forum member's contributions regarding carrying spare fuses in case one breaks (not a beer can!).....what fuses do they take ?

Cheers, larry
    Last edited by larry_emder; 03-16-2006, 03:45 PM.

Re: Tubes for my mesa boogie

Help please??

Comment

Can't help you on the EL84 front (never own an amp that had any) I can suggest either Electro-Harmonix or JJ/Telsa preamp tubes. I like both, but each has their own sound.

As for how to replace, you pull on them and they come out, then you push a new one in.

As for the fuse, you should be able to locate the plastic cover for the fuse well somewhere on your amp, and it written somewhere somewhere there should be a label that tells you what kind of fuse to use.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

go here.....http://www.thetubestore.com/ they can set you up and have a good buch of info.I buy from them to retube all my boogies.
        my band
        Red Hot Rebellion
        www.redhotrebellion.com

LP's & Marshall's

Comment

Another good source for infomation is the Mesa Boogie site. Read some of the owner's manuals of their newer amps--they give you some good information about changing them. Changing tubes is simple, you just have to get the pins aligned correctly when inserting the tubes, best to do it with the amp cold.

The Tubestore is good, I like the ELectro Harmonix 12AX7s for preamp tubes in all of my Mesa combos. They work well in every socket; they are durable and rugged. I like the JJ EL-84 power tubes in my Mesa DC-3. A good source for JJ tubes is Eurotubes.com.; but I'm not totally crazy about their JJ 12AX7s--they seem a little dark in my Mesa amps.

Mesa amps are usually fixed bias. Their EL-84 amps are cathode-biased and can accept a wide range of tube values. Whereever you get your tubes tell them what amp you have and that you are looking for "...more clean headroom..."; but still within "MESA SPECS". The tube vendor should be able to fix you right up. Or, you can even order new tubes directly from the Mesa website.

I hope this helps.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I use El84's in my Hughes and Kettner. I've tried EH, JJ and Ruby tubes in the preamp (12ax7) and i liked the JJ's the best, they seemed the least muffled and most toneful in my amp. I also use JJ's in the power section.
            Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
            Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
            Vox Time Machine Delay
            Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

How can i find out what types of tubes will work in my amp?

Would these power tubes work in my amp?

If not, which ones will?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by larry_emder
                Thanks for all your replies.

How can i find out what types of tubes will work in my amp?

Would these power tubes work in my amp?

If not, which ones will?

Thanks again.
                Those tubes will work but may not sound to great. I'm not a fan of EI tubes. I had a .22caliber+ and sold it. I wish I still had it because it was a great amp, I took the money and bought a triaxis. Anyway, you can place a 12au7 in the first socket for more headroom and a smoother cleaner sound. Try the new Tungsol 12ax7 also, and if you can afford a nos el84. I don't know which new el84 tube is good. Good luck!

Comment

Yes, those Electro Harmonics EL-84s should be fine.

Do you have an owner's manual for your amp? Download it from mesaboogie.com.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Could you show me why these el-84's are compatible compared to others? How do you know that they will work?

Comment

I looked at my users manual and it says nothing about what types of el-84 are compatible. help pleeeease?

Comment

They can take any brand of el-84's, the only thing the is you need keep in mind that they need to operate within the specs of the amp you have. To find the exact specs you need for a tube just e-mail mesa tech support I guess. With that information you should tell the tube vendor and they should be able to provide the correct tubes you can use.
                        Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                        Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                        Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                        Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                        Fender Frontman 15g
                        Cry Baby
                        Boss DS-2
                        Boss CE-3
                        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Thanks all for putting up with my noobishness! I will no longer bother you with questions on this topic!

Comment

I have a Boogie 50 Caliber which is a similar amp. If you're not sure about the tube, just buy the EL84s and 12AX7s from Mesa Engineering. You'll know they'll work.
                            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I use JJ EL-84s that I get from Bob at Eurotubes. They are very warm and organic sounding. In the end it is all a matter of preference. If you tell Bob what kind of amp you have he's real good about getting you tubes that are with specs.

You could always take Evan's suggestion too, and when you learn a bit more about tubes and what you want you could start swapping then.

Luke
                              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                              X