banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to give out some knowledge about different OTs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone want to give out some knowledge about different OTs?

Originally posted by Naps
    ... However they say the recto's OT are conciderably better and don't really need to be replaced.
    One of the things I like about Mesa is how they don't skimp on components...sure they're PCB, but they use high end caps, transformers, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
      Not to hijack this, but is the PT as important to the tone of the amp as much as the OT?
      The power trnsformer is not as important to tone as the OPT. Any minor diffrences in voltage or current supply from one PT to another, are probably largely overshadowed by the effects of the filter caps and the bias adjustment.

Comment

As I recall putting an upgraded plexi type OPT into a DSL makes it an incrediable amp, but does require some fabrication.

Traditionally 50 watt Marshalls used Drake, and 100 watt versions used Dagnell, although the very first 2 or 3 100 watt version used Drake as well. Modern transformers from these companies are not the same as back in the day. Hence the cottage industry of offering improved trannies for Marshalls. I recall reading reports of the modern Drakes being made in China, much like modern Celestions. The Dagnell used in the hand wired plexi JTM45/100 were re-issue tranny's based on the original specs and materials.

Hiwatts used Partridge trannies back in the day. These are now extinct AFAK.

Mesa originally used BF Fender trannies, but they then went to the same supplier as Fenders, IIRC Mallory, for both trannies and filter caps.

Comment

Just so you know, the transformers in Marshall DSL's are a series made by Mercury Magnetics, called the Axiom Series. They also have wiring harnesses, so you don't even need a soldering iron to change them......as my memory serves.

By the way, Mercury Magnetics is 1 block from my home.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Intersting...so what kind of difference would be expected changing from an Axiom to some other Mercury OT?

Comment

umm, well.....I, personally, I still prefer Hammonds over most anything else currently available.
              Of course, that is just my opinion.....

JS
              ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
              www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Just so you know, the transformers in Marshall DSL's are a series made by Mercury Magnetics, called the Axiom Series. They also have wiring harnesses, so you don't even need a soldering iron to change them......as my memory serves.

By the way, Mercury Magnetics is 1 block from my home.
                They must have switched to Axiom over the years as I had a DSL50 made in '97 that had a Drake PT and OT.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Working...
                X