I may have screwed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may have screwed up

I have not recieved my new vox valvatronix 120 watter yet. But, I was reading the manual online. It says to use 8 ohms or less for speakers. I have 2 16 ohms, which I know equals 8. But, Will I blow something up?
    please help
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Re: I may have screwed up

If it says 8 or less then you should be fine at 8 ohms. Just wire em up parallel for 8 ohms. It's usually having too low of impedance rather, than too high of impedance that hurts amps. On a tube amp it can hurt the output transformer. On a SS power amp, and when there's not enough load, then the current flows too high and fries the output transistors. If the impedance is too high, then a SS power amp just can't produce enough power without hard clipping. It sounds like 8 ohms is just right.
    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Next question. One of my speakers is in a 1x12 the other is in my combo. They are both 16 ohm. WOuld I just daisy chain the combo speaker?
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

If you have a stereo jack for your cabinet (that is one jack to go to the amp and one jack to link on another cabinet) you'll be fine.

I've never heard of having an issue with speakers that have higher ohmage. It's always best to match the speaker output to the output on your amp. In theory, having 16 ohms on a circuit that is made for 8 ohms shouldn't damage the amp, but to be on the safe side, I wouldn't try it.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues
          If it says 8 or less then you should be fine at 8 ohms. Just wire em up parallel for 8 ohms. It's usually having too low of impedance rather, than too high of impedance that hurts amps. On a tube amp it can hurt the output transformer. On a SS power amp, and when there's not enough load, then the current flows too high and fries the output transistors. If the impedance is too high, then a SS power amp just can't produce enough power without hard clipping. It sounds like 8 ohms is just right.
          This amp has both a stereo out or can be used in mono...In stereo "ideally" the amp wants to see 1 4 or 8 ohm side per channel....If you run the amp in mono at 8 ohms you'll be fine also,but you won't benefit from stereo effects or the nice dimension of sound you get from this amp in stereo...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            If you have a stereo jack for your cabinet (that is one jack to go to the amp and one jack to link on another cabinet) you'll be fine.

I've never heard of having an issue with speakers that have higher ohmage. It's always best to match the speaker output to the output on your amp. In theory, having 16 ohms on a circuit that is made for 8 ohms shouldn't damage the amp, but to be on the safe side, I wouldn't try it.
            I do, so I can daisy chain the 2 16 ohms together and be rockin!
            Thanks to all.
            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
              I do, so I can daisy chain the 2 16 ohms together and be rockin!
              Thanks to all.
              Just go 8 ohm load in mono and you'll be good to go....You'll lose the stereo but you'll not be impedence mismatched.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
              X