Tell me about JCM900 50w SLX's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me about JCM900 50w SLX's

Well, I've seen the 100 watters go for $600 to $850 USD.
    That's about $750 to almost $1000 CAN.

Take about $100-$150 for 50 watters.

That range is all pending the condition.

Comment

This thing is in perfect condition from the pics ive seen lol only thing its missing is the 1/4" nut for the input jack which is like 50cents... is it dangerous not to have that? I'm goign to get one anyways but I mean is it a big deal?
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD
        This thing is in perfect condition from the pics ive seen lol only thing its missing is the 1/4" nut for the input jack which is like 50cents... is it dangerous not to have that? I'm goign to get one anyways but I mean is it a big deal?
        Since it's on the input, I highly recommend getting that taken care of. The jacks are mounted on a circuit board and those nuts help keep it steady and in place. If you plan on using it before getting the nut for it, be careful when plugging in the cord. You don't want to lift the solder joints (yes, that can happen if one is not careful in this circumstance). Any local tech shop that services Marshalls should have them. My tech had a boatload of 'em and put one on mine for nothing. I was getting it retubed and biased at the same time though. Mine had one missing from the effects loop send jack though.

Comment

Yeah if I get it (find out soon) I'll just go get one from my local dealer for sure.

The cab has a rip in the tolex on the front right (when looking at it) its not too big, maybe a few cm's, any tips on how to protect the exposed wood? I was thinking of painting that section black (its dark now but I was hoping the paint would help protect).

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the tolex tears. I've seen heads some 20 years old that barely have any tolex left and the wood is fine. My 2100 head has some tears here and there and it's fine.

Comment

he says one tear is about 6"by2" and the other (back) is approx 2' by 4"!! So I would liek to just get some black paint just to make it less noticable you know?

Well as of now I'm getting it, we just need ot figure out when we are goign to meet (each drive 1 1/2 hours) and that about it! $500 (cab) for a 1960b cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues
                The main thing with Marshalls is the power amp. That's why the power tube type and it's interaction with the output transformer, plus the speakers, are so important. This is a fundamental diffrence in practical operation and design philosophy from these other high gain tube amps. With these other amps, the preamp is responsible, almost entirely, for the gain and tone shaping. With Most Marshalls it's the Preamp gain + the power amp gain. That's true to a small extent with most tube amps, but with a Marshall the power amp gain is a much greater % of the total gain. That's why Marshalls are best played loud. They are not really designed to get any amount of distortion at any volume. They are optimized to be operated at gig volume. By not using so much preamp gain and utilizing a classic power amp design to make up the difference, higher gain can be obtained with more warmth, and less buzz. Power tube distortion is usually warmer with less buzz.

Marshall says that the JCM2000's can potentially obtain up to 14 times the total gain of the JCM800 2203/4's though.
                I'm sure that applies for EL34 powered amps in general. I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel (EL34s) which is advertised as a high gain amp with huge but defined bottom end. At low volumes it doesn't really sound like it has a lot of gain on tap. But when you crank the volume to past 7 or 8 the tubes start to saturate and you get a crushing, balls deep distortion that just hits you in the chest. While it is a high gain amp, with the gain cranked, it doesn't have that buzzy high gain sound that is often characterized by 6L6 powered amps like 5150's, Rectos and the lot.
                Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
                Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
                Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
                Boss SD-1
                Digitech Bad Monkey
                Vox V-847 wah

Comment

Working...
                X