V-twin/50 /50 vs. Tube amp and a stompbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-twin/50 /50 vs. Tube amp and a stompbox

Allright since ya'll ingnore me and all' in "Fender Metal Head" thread I will repost here again, in the words of Glen Close " ... I am not gonna be ingored"

Ok, I played with JCM 900 for 2 years and with JCM 2000 for three years, and then took a 5 year break which as you can see I am back from. So, those two heads are my entire amp experience, they satisfied most of the requirements but now I have a tone in my head that partialy my invader hum strat satisfies, I am realy after the bright middle with clarity during single note-palm-muted-riffs and thick pick harmonics, my rythm tone is somewhere between eghties Iommi and Zakk Wylde with single note riffs and pick harmonics of Lynch, Malmsteen, Helloween, now this is the best way I can describe, it don't take these examples litteraly, just to give you an idea. Now, the question, considering the tone I am after what are the pluses and minuses of an over drive tube pedal and power amp (V-twin and 50/50) vs. tube head engle, laney, marshall, mesa, etc. with some sort of pedal ?
    Thanks guys.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: V-twin/50 /50 vs. Tube amp and a stompbox

aaaaaaaaaa .............. ?????
    Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Well, i use a Laney GH50L. Advantages of a head? Its all in there! Im not experienced in using separate pre and poweramps. Shop about and see what you like best. I recommend the Laney. Does the Marshall thing very well.

Jeff

Comment

A tube head has it all. Separate channels and EQ's And I don't use any OD box in front of mine. I perfer and expect the OD to sound awesome on a head. otherwise why buy one?

I have a V-twin that I'm currently looking for a nice clean combo to put it in front of for practice. I may just try your idea of a slave amp. I've been looking on ebay for a Boogie or Fender Combo to fit the bill.

Comment

So, I guess the main thing is that the overdrive of real size head will not be matched by any pre-ampish tube pedal, right ???
          Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi
            So, I guess the main thing is that the overdrive of real size head will not be matched by any pre-ampish tube pedal, right ???
            I disagree... for our EP and Album I used both a V-twin rack and pedal version into a Mesa 50/50, as well as the V-twin pedal into my Marshall 2204“s low input

If you take a listen to the clips on Myspace, Soundclick or the shoutcast stream, I don“t think you“ll find the amout of gain really lacking.... you may not like the tone itself, the V-twin has a certain signature that is more like a slightly psychotic Mark series amp than a rectifier.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Zerberus
              Listened to Forecast and NothingAtAll, first of all, Dude you rock! I liked the material very much, if you guys are ever in Bay Area/San Francisco I will come to your show! It's always nice to see guitar players who put compostion and melodic frasing before attack and feel, these days. However, I am oriented more a little toward classic/powermetal, with touches of Zakk and Ramstein on occasion, so, would you say that tube head is more suitable for it ?
              Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                the V-twin has a certain signature that is more like a slightly psychotic Mark series amp than a rectifier.

That's what I love about it. My rig briefly consisted of a V Twin pedal into a 50:50 through a pair of 2x12 cabs. It had stellar cleans, fab mid gain tones, and one of the best high gain sound I've ever heard from a Boogie.

The only reason I swapped the V Twin for a GT-8 is because I play in a cover band and need a very large variety of sounds at my beck and call (I'm one of those guys that has to NAIL every sound ). If and when I start playing my sstuff exclusively, I'll definately go back to the V Twin.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Zerberus,
                  Just that last question above, please, I promise this is the last one. Thanks Dude.
                  Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Plizzzz ?
                    Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

does the V TWIN rack have a dedicated clean?
                      how does it work? I HATE that the pedal does not allow you to use ALL 3 channels.
                      1973 Les Paul Standard
                      1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                        does the V TWIN rack have a dedicated clean?
                        how does it work? I HATE that the pedal does not allow you to use ALL 3 channels.

If I recall correctly, the rack version is 2 pedals, so you could theoretically have a clean, a mild yellow channel, a hotter yellow channel, and, of course, the psycho red channel.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi
                          Zerberus
                          Listened to Forecast and NothingAtAll, first of all, Dude you rock! I liked the material very much, if you guys are ever in Bay Area/San Francisco I will come to your show!
                          Sorry, but highly unlikely that it will ever happen.

With total EP sales of <30 pcs since December I honestly no longer see any real promise in the continuation of the project. I have over 450 cds (out of 500) here still cluttering my apartment, and all of it is dead capital. I honestly see Infinite Ending dead pretty soon, Seeing a good friend of mine with a downloaded copy yesterday was very likely the final nail. I didn“t practically destroy my life and everything I had so that the same people that said "Yeah, I really wanna buy it" can turn around and bang me in the ass on top of that...

I“ll probably sell the CDs off as coasters.... I“m dead serious, too. We had over 1500 "pre orders"... And I know for a fact there are at least 400 pirated copies out there already (that“s how many sources my "buddy" had when he was still leeching)... Yet I still haven“t even sold enough copies to cover my GEMA (BMI/ASCAP) application, much less the actual release costs of the LP....

Sorry for the rant

However, I am oriented more a little toward classic/powermetal, with touches of Zakk and Ramstein on occasion, so, would you say that tube head is more suitable for it ?
                          THe only difference between a preamp /poweramp setup and a Head is that one is 2 pieces and one is in one comfy box. Neither is better suited to anything, especially not with the thousands of tube amps available today... But if you wan“t Zakks tone ghet an SD-1, an Jcm 800 (or ZW reissue) and an EMG loaded lester w/ heavy strings and you“re almost there...
                          Last edited by Zerberus; 04-08-2006, 04:31 AM.
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks dude, I am starting to get the idea, with power amp/pre-amp you can get several pre-amps and one power amp and really fool around with tones vs. different heads that will be much more expensive. Hm ....
                            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I heard the clips in the myspace site and found very nice tones. I have an V-twin and sometimes plug it at a classic 30 (return). but doesnt stays very nice. What can i do to improve it? Does exist an pratic solution to an cabinet+power amp rack to carry on everywhere?
                              - Cort S-2550
                              - Ibanez Roadstar II RG440
                              - Ibanez Artcore Asf75tbl
                              - Dunlop Crybaby gcb-95
                              - Boss Compressor Sustainer CS-3
                              - Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-7
                              - Danelectro T-bone distortion
                              - Mesa Boogie V-Twin
                              - Boss Super Chorus CH-1
                              - Boss Digital Delay DD-6
                              - Peavey Classic 30

Comment