Converting a MONO cab to STEREO 2 run 2 heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a MONO cab to STEREO 2 run 2 heads

I have a great cab with 4 G12H30s. I want to start using 2 heads live at the same time but I don't wanna move more than one 4x12 cab.

My cab is a std mono cab. Would converting it to stereo be a good idea? Qould it affect the tone?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Converting a MONO cab to STEREO 2 run 2 heads

hello?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Hi Dude--

If both the amps were 60 watts or less, I guess that would work fine. You're going to run them at the same time? I don't know much about wiring but I assume it would be the same premise as running a stereo head--kinda, LOL. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will pipe up, but I don't see a problem with it as long as you wire the cab the right way.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

It can be done. Best to get one of the stereo/mono jackplates that come on the newer Marshalls. Much easier. It'll have to be wired so it's 16 ohms mono and 8 ohms per side in stereo. Probably easier to just get a cab already wired that way. Just set both heads to 8 ohms (or whichever the impedance would be) when doing this.

Something else to be aware of. I'm not sure which heads you're going to use (2 100 watters or 2 50's or 1 100 and 1 50) but the pair of speakers together on each side better be able to handle the full power of the amp for reliability. That's why the newer 1960 cabs with the stereo/mono plate are rated at 300 watts. They're 150 watts a side in stereo.

So, you'll need to know the full wattage capability of the cab you want to do this to, divide that in half to get the per side handling. You might need to get different speakers that can handle the wattage depending on what's in there now.

Comment

Working...
        X