Deluxe reverb-Silverface or DRRI??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluxe reverb-Silverface or DRRI??

Cosmetics aside, would it be a better move to rehab an old silverface DR or get a recent used one and re-tube and speaker it? Both are out there for 600-800 used.

Original BF's are over $2K, which is out of my price range, but I love those amps and really have the desire for a low-wattage tube amp w/at least reverb-the tremelo is also nice.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Re: Deluxe reverb-Silverface or DRRI??

Hi Dave--I've heard that you can "blackface" a silverface amp. If you get a good deal on a silverface and you know a tech that can do the mod that would probably be the way to go. Keep in mind I've never heard the reissues, but a few people I know weren't impressed with them.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Thanks-I've heard that both can be modded to pre-CBS specs, but is modding either one going to yield a better result?
      Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

go silverface for sure...it's a hand wired amp, it is far more likely to hold or go up in value and if you are planning on new tubes and a speaker already they you'll end up with a killer amp that IMO you won't get with a reissue...the reissue is a nice amp but even a SF is a better amp...again, IMO.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I can't stand the silverface tone, too stiff and sterile, I include Super Reverbs and Twins in this.
          This is to my ear, some people make em sound great.
          I prefer the Reissue if you change the speakers, tubes, complete overhaul, maybe even put the tube recto back in.

Remember this, NOT all silverfaces can be changed. I think it's only Silverfaces up to 1975 - I am NOT sure, but check BEFORE you buy, or you might get stuck.
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

you can change any silverface to BF specs...I might require more work on one year over another but it can 100% be done.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

You can also convert a RI to handwired BF for around $300. Vintage Sounds in Pensacola will do it. Lew or Scott (can't remember) recommends swapping out the speakerfor some form of G12H. At the end of the day, regardless of which one you convert, you end up with a new blackface, at least as far as the chassis goes. My limited experience on Ebay and looking at the mags says that you won't get your money back on either one. Converted SF's are still selling for around $800. So only do it if you are looking for a player and not an "investment" Even the transitional SF Twins canbe had pretty cheap. The old Deluxe seems to be one of the pricier vintage models relative to the power output, but they very well may be the best amp ever made.
              '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
              '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
              '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
              '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
              '01 Firebird V
              '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
              '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
              '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
              '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
              '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
              '04 Martin HD28V
              '66 Vibrolux Reverb
              Fender CS '57 Twin RI
              Marshall 1987x RI
              Soultone 18w
              Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

By the way. My BFRI sounds pretty darn good and i haven't even put the NOS tubes in it yet........better sounding than most other amps in that price range. it was $795 at Sam Ash and comes with a 5 year warranty, so i will probably put of converting it for a while......lol
                '01 Firebird V
                '04 Martin HD28V
                '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                Marshall 1987x RI
                Soultone 18w
                Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Ther reissue stuff is just fine I am just really fond of older amps...I find them to be more solid...I also hate PCB amps with a passion, IMO they do not hold up as well, mods and tweaks are apain in the neck and I just prefer a handwired amp. If none of those things are an issue go for a reissue I would personally go for a SF any day if the prices were the same.

Comment

Christian.....you MUST check out the handwired tweed Twin if you haven't already. I tried one out that was stock and was really impressed, but the one i got had been retubed with original spec NOS 12AY7 (?)tubes.....WOW!!!! And i also have a few NOS 12AX7's lying around in case i want to go back to the higher gain setup
                    '01 Firebird V
                    '04 Martin HD28V
                    '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                    Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                    Marshall 1987x RI
                    Soultone 18w
                    Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
                      Christian.....you MUST check out the handwired tweed Twin if you haven't already. I tried one out that was stock and was really impressed, but the one i got had been retubed with original spec NOS 12AY7 (?)tubes.....WOW!!!! And i also have a few NOS 12AX7's lying around in case i want to go back to the higher gain setup

You got it?

Thats cool...I tried one but it was in a loud as hell store and I wasn't relaly able to tell much about the amp. That said, Im goning amp hunting again tomorrow...maybe I'll cross paths with another one!

Comment

Yeah......it moves a lot of air for a 40w old school open back amp. You have to be careful with the bass on humbuckers. It can thump pretty hard. What i did find was that you don't really need to turn it up to get an idea of how good it sounds. It stays relatiively clean even at 6 (out of 12....take that , Spinal Tap...lol) with the Tele, but thats really what you would expect from a larger tweed amp with a single coil guitar. i haven't tried any pedals with it yet and I may never use anything with it other than a wah or Leslie simultator. The 18w and the Plexi do the overdrive thing just find. What suprised me wasthat the Twin......and the Deluxe, for that matter were such great matches with the R9.
                        '01 Firebird V
                        '04 Martin HD28V
                        '66 Vibrolux Reverb