banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-->Is the Klon Centaur noisy when used as a clean boost? Stacked with another OD?<--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -->Is the Klon Centaur noisy when used as a clean boost? Stacked with another OD?<--

I want to add a nice boost to my rig, and use the LovePedal Eternity I have to put a little more on it for leads. With the Eternity being somewhat noisy, would my rig whine like a ***** if I were to stack the two?

This is going on a Mark IIC+'s lead channel if that helps you out.

Re: --&gt;Is the Klon Centaur noisy when used as a clean boost? Stacked with another OD?&lt;--

It'll work great with any pedal. I sometimes feed my highgain OD pedal, the T. Rex Mudhoney into it, for a fat gain tone. Klon's are extremely expensive though, so there's other clean boosts out there that'll do the same thing.

I got lucky enough to score an original 'gold w/Centaur pic' several years ago for $240. I just noticed that they're going for over $600 now, due to their collectibility. The silver ones are the same, but not as nice looking.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Re: --&gt;Is the Klon Centaur noisy when used as a clean boost? Stacked with another OD?&lt;--

Eh. Who cares how they look? I can't believe they're fetching 100% profit on eBay. Silly kids.
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Re: --&gt;Is the Klon Centaur noisy when used as a clean boost? Stacked with another OD?

Originally posted by KGMESSIER
        Eh. Who cares how they look? I can't believe they're fetching 100% profit on eBay. Silly kids.
        It's amazing. I can't believe that the last several auctions I've seen for gold Klons have ended at over $600!! I'll bet the guy who sold me his Klon for $240 is kicking himself now!

Comment

So what makes it so great? The layout seems like any other TS-9 clone.
          How would a Modded TS-9 compare? Or any other pedal that comes close.

Comment

The Klon seems to have more attack, clarity and preservation of tone. That was my experience when I played one into my Super Reverb. The TS9/808 definitely colored the sound while the Klon really filled out my tone and helped me cut through. It's the best boost I've ever played through.

- Keith
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

That sounds like a modded SD-1 to me then! Anyone knows what kind of circuit is it using?

Comment

No, the Klon is nothing like a Tubescreamer at all.

The secret to it's circuit is stacked dual-pots, which effect a different part of the circuit simultaneously, to help with the tube feel of the gain and volume.
                It's a very linear boost that increases in gain, but sounds natural, just like you're turning up the gain and volume on your amp. It actually buffers the signal and enriches your tone. A tubescreamer type pedal sounds like a mix of clean and gain and has a midhump. Clean boost pedals just sound like you're beefing up the existing sound without doing much else.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  No, the Klon is nothing like a Tubescreamer at all.

The secret to it's circuit is stacked dual-pots, which effect a different part of the circuit simultaneously, to help with the tube feel of the gain and volume.
                  It's a very linear boost that increases in gain, but sounds natural, just like you're turning up the gain and volume on your amp. It actually buffers the signal and enriches your tone. A tubescreamer type pedal sounds like a mix of clean and gain and has a midhump. Clean boost pedals just sound like you're beefing up the existing sound without doing much else.
                  I gotta try one! But I doubt I will find one around here, these seem like very rare pedals.
                  How would it compare to a V-twin? Same price range, just different flavours? Or is one the better pedal?
                  Last edited by Nightburst; 04-06-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X