No announcement yet.

Mesa Owners, what speakers do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Owners, what speakers do you use?

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
    dual rectifier through the marshall 1960 with the G12T-75's.

i find this cabinet to be a good match with this head...gives a nice chunk and a full response without sounding too bright/ice-picky. i think the V30's sound decent, but they accentuate the highs a little too much for my tastes. however, i have heard plenty of players get awesome tone out of a mesa w/V30's.
    +1 I love my Marshall cab with my Mesa... I've heard the G12-75s pushed by a lot of different amps and I've always been impressed.
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Thanks guys this has been a really helpful thread

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
      I had a couple of swamp thangs and while I really liked them with my mesa stuff it had a resonant frequency of 97hz and I felt it was a speaker that was voiced more for fender amps and had alot of bass and the least breakup besides the tonker I tried but not as thumpin as a texas that has a frequency of 79hz. The texas is very dark but you feel it and it sounds great for chugs.

I had a red ryder and felt the classic lead was more punchy but the red ryder is a very neutral speaker and is good at being neutral. Best for a modelling amp as you get exactly what you put into it. The breakup is good but I like a real distinct voice from my speakers.
      Very insightful. I'm thinking of going with either the Swamp Thang, Texas Heat or the Wizard now. I want to go with eminence because it's quite a bit cheaper, expecially from avatar.

Do or Would the American line of Eminence speakers mix with the British line of speakers very well? Say I take the two governors and run them with two American-voiced speakers, will there be any crazy frequency issues?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
        MkIII through a EV EVM12L loaded 1x12 and V30 loaded 4x12 (oversized Recto).

I really like V30s, but you have to stand atleast 20ft (preferably further) away from the cab to get a true feel for it's sound....otherwise it sounds really harsh and somewhat boomy.
        Thats a very good point to make man. I agree, I realized that more and more daily as I worked with the EQ on my amp to shape my tone. But I definately love all the tones I get out of my boogie. As far as the speakers, I'm not that familiar but the v30's certainly hit the spot for me. Seems they can tackle mostly anything.

Comment

I think if you put the american voiced speakers on the bottom of the cab you will be ok. That is what I do anyhow.
          My bands links:

PEDL
          www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
          www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
          www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
            Im running 90w black shadows into Mesa 3/4 back 112 cabs.
            Same here, I love my cab.!
            Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
              I really like V30s, but you have to stand atleast 20ft (preferably further) away from the cab to get a true feel for it's sound....otherwise it sounds really harsh and somewhat boomy.
              I concur. I really like the Recto 4x12. Yes, it can be boomy, and a little excessive on the lower frequencies. But boy, when those speakers get pummeled and the volume fills the venue's every crevice...guaranteed cream-in-the-pants. Seriously. The thing is...just like a nice tube amp, you gotta get those things pumping to witness the beauty within 'em. I myself tend to forget this every once in a while, when I try to crank my IIC+ in my bedroom!

Good luck with whatever comes your way!

Comment

Working...
              X