Vox Tonelab Amp Modeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Tonelab Amp Modeler

I'm thinking about picking one up. Can anyone comment on them? It seems easy to use. Does that tube really do anything to the sound?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Vox Tonelab Amp Modeler

I have owned a POD, Blackbox, Toneport and a Vox Tonelab the Vox has a good warm sound and as a pre amp for a tube amp works pretty well. The tube helps for sure but don't expect miracles.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

It's def the "warmest" sounding modeller out there, and has more tube like feel & touch dynamics.

The Marshall voicings are off...the mids are not right...at least on the 800, 900 and TSL. The Plexi is decent and I like the JTM45...but the others....meh. The Fender voicings and the Vox ones are quite good, as is the Soldano.

Overall I think Line6 has better voicings on the high(er) gain amps, and the Tonelab is better for eveything else.

The effects are *MUCH* better on the Vox than the POD XTL...about the same as the Roland BOSS stuff.

I dont find it easier to use than the POD XTL, really..I can say having the presence control "tied' to a different menu/button is kind of a PITA when trying to tweak your high end frequencies. not a big deal, just a pain to have to press another button and get away from all the other tone controls when you are tweaking...then go back.

But since I use 800/JMP type sounds 99.999999% of the time, it no workie for me, so mine is up for grabs over in the classifieds. It also does not work well at all with my Atomic... it sounds very "small" "thin" and artificial. I've run it through a couple of other amps recently in front and in the loop and it's better.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

IT seems to be the preamp for the valvetronix amps. 16 models, all the effects etc. If so it is a great buy. I have have have mine a week now and I am in love. If you have celestions the marshall settings are even closer. I use one vintage 30 and one G12T-75.
        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I really like the AC30 cleans, but I don't like the price, the build quality, and its way to loud for me. So if this thing can do it pretty well I'm sold. My main recording time is after people go to sleep so I don't have the abilitly to really play and I hate microphones so if this can get me in the AC30 ball park and not sound like ass I'm there.

Comment

Yeah, the Vox emulations are quite good on my TL. I'm also a big fan of the Soldano model (US Highgain) and the UK Blues emulation (I think it's a model of the JTM, but I'm not sure).

The OD and distortion pedals built into the TL are quite good too, very musical.

Comment

Well it is between this and a set of headphones or a Crate V58 and a new mic. I can't decide which is going to sound better.

Comment

For what you are looking for the Tonelab/TL SE would be a great choice compared to a "real" amp.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4
                  I really like the AC30 cleans, but I don't like the price, the build quality, and its way to loud for me. So if this thing can do it pretty well I'm sold. My main recording time is after people go to sleep so I don't have the abilitly to really play and I hate microphones so if this can get me in the AC30 ball park and not sound like ass I'm there.

Your recordings will sound better imo if you even record a little amp sound through a mic on top of the direct sound from a Tonelab. You can use even a small watt amp like a Roland Cube or Epiphone. Double track one direct and one with a mic and then blend to taste.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co
                    Your recordings will sound better imo if you even record a little amp sound through a mic on top of the direct sound from a Tonelab. You can use even a small watt amp like a Roland Cube or Epiphone. Double track one direct and one with a mic and then blend to taste.
                    I really like recording that way, but I can't afford both...
                    Last edited by ericmeyer4; 04-11-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I really like recording that way, but I can't afford both...
                      If you have a fast powerful computer you might consider a Toneport UX1 and a 5 watt amp. Lots going on there and I like it better than a Vox Tonelab set up.
                      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co
                        If you have a fast powerful computer you might consider a Toneport UX1 and a 5 watt amp. Lots going on there and I like it better than a Vox Tonelab set up.
                        Like I said earlier, I would do that, but I can't afford both.

Comment

Like I said earlier, I would do that, but I can't afford both.
                          Epiphone Valve Special about 200.00 and a Toneport UX1 about 120.00 US how much is a Tonelab? About 299.00 US.

I have this set up at home and it sounds pretty good especially double tracked one direct one mic'd. Just a suggestion as I owned a Tonelab and prefer this set up.
                          Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 04-11-2006, 07:36 PM.
                          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

i like the tonelab.But i find the toneport better.still ,you need a laptop to use it for gigging
                            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque
                              i like the tonelab.But i find the toneport better.still ,you need a laptop to use it for gigging
                              How do you change patches on the Toneport live? I was trying to figure a way to do that...
                              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X