Fender blues jr tube mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender blues jr tube mod

What would i sound like if I put EL34's as the power tubes and ECC83 or the stock 12AX7's as the preamp tubes. Would i be able to get more of a distorted blues out of that?

is it possible to chnage slots on an amp, like one that has 2 pwer tubes and 4 preamp. Would it be possible to make it 3 pwr and 3 pre?
    Last edited by ScottPearson88; 04-08-2006, 09:18 PM.

Re: Fender blues jr tube mod

I'm almost positive that you can't change the type (EL84) or number of power tubes in the Blues Junior unless you plan on rebuilding the whole circuit board and changing transformers. For the 12AX7's, you can use the ECC tubes, as long as you get the right ones. I'm not sure which is which; I know of the ECC83 and the ECC81... one might be like a 12AX7 and the other a 12AT7 but don't take my word for it.

Comment

EL34s require a different tube socket. They would not necessarily be more distorted, since they are a higher powered tube.

Even if you could theoretically do the other changes, it's just too much work on a small amp, IMO.

for more distortion, you could simply get "softer" power tubes - just find a good vendor and tell them what you want

the first preamp tube is the most critical for the tone of this amp, so you might experiment with higher gain versions

since the B Jr has a full tone stack, those tube tweaks, and perhaps the correct speaker should get you any tone you want

there is a ton of info regarding these amps over on the Fender Discussion Page
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

+1 to what Curly said. Check out Eurotubes and if you want give Bob an email and tell him what you're looking for. He has several sets to chose from and he knows his stuff. That made a world of difference in mine. I've been thinking about a speaker upgrade, but I just can't decide which one to get.
        It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
        X