Best Fender in a Long Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Fender in a Long Time

Not really, more of an attempt to come close to a Matchless C-30. I love those amps. I'm going to give it the old college try. 1/2 power switch, dual channel, rotary tone knob on the EF86 channel, traditional T/B on the other, defeatable master, seperate FX loops on both channels and real matchless/badcat iron.

This one ought to be the more complicated thing I've tried so far.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Fender has a handwired blackface, just not the Twin Reverb/Deluxe Reverb that are ultra popular. Theyve got the '64 Vibroverb which Im surprised isnt that popular. Its got 2 switches in the back, one changed the rectifier from diode to tube and the other is like an overdrive type thing. Besides that though, im not sure why there are any problems with it. Its got some Eminance 15" speaker but im sure that people prefer the 2 x 12 arrangement, so i dont know. You guys probably know about this anyway...

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.
      - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
      - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
      - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
      - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
      - Tungsten Buckwheat
      - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
      - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

yeah, they have built the VibroKing for a long time too, but i think if you asked customers what they would like to see in a handwired version, the list would go something like Deluxe, Twin, Super ,Princeton.
        '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
        '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
        '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
        '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
        '01 Firebird V
        '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
        '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
        '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
        '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
        '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
        '04 Martin HD28V
        '66 Vibrolux Reverb
        Fender CS '57 Twin RI
        Marshall 1987x RI
        Soultone 18w
        Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
          This thing appears to be Fender's counterattack against all of the boutique guys that have been ripping off Leo's legacy for all these years.
          most of the tweed amps used generic circuits created by AT&T/ Western Electric, and licensed by Fender. I don't know about the '57 Twin RI, but most tweed amps have a licensing label on the inside of the cab.

I don't think the early boutique builders were ripping off Leo, but responding to the market, and building amps they loved that there was a demand for.

Of course, the current leadership at FMIC may feel differently.

Originally posted by Scott_F
          I'd be doubly suprised if Fender used MM iron.
          A boutique amp from Fender?!?

Naturally, Fender came to Mercury for our top-of-the-line transformers. Sergio Hamernik and crew worked directly with Fender's engineers whose "spare no expense, no holds barred" approach helped us to create the best-sounding transformers money could buy. The Twin nails Fender's tone so well that many top players have added it to their on-stage arsenals. If you're a serious player too, this amp is a "must have."
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            Not really, more of an attempt to come close to a Matchless C-30. I love those amps. I'm going to give it the old college try. 1/2 power switch, dual channel, rotary tone knob on the EF86 channel, traditional T/B on the other, defeatable master, seperate FX loops on both channels and real matchless/badcat iron.

This one ought to be the more complicated thing I've tried so far.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I was talking to a tech today who has been working on Fender amps since he go outof the Navy........in 1958!!!!! He said that most of those Western Electric circuits that Leo used were used extensively in radios and other electronics by the military in WWII,so they had to bulletproof......hence the legendary reliability of the tweed amps
              '01 Firebird V
              '04 Martin HD28V
              '66 Vibrolux Reverb
              Fender CS '57 Twin RI
              Marshall 1987x RI
              Soultone 18w
              Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

I think it's a worthy amp to buy, and should sound perfectly fine right outta the box. Before spending additional money on tubes, I'd focus on getting an overdrive pedal that jives perfectly with the Tweed Twin.

How cool would a Tweed Twin/Duncan Twin Tube Classic rig be?? I'd spend that extra $210 on the SFX-3 pedal!
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  I think it's a worthy amp to buy, and should sound perfectly fine right outta the box. Before spending additional money on tubes, I'd focus on getting an overdrive pedal that jives perfectly with the Tweed Twin.

How cool would a Tweed Twin/Duncan Twin Tube Classic rig be?? I'd spend that extra $210 on the SFX-3 pedal!
                  Yea thats true. If anything, Ill change the pre-amp tubes. Id get the NOS 12AY7s and the NOS 12AX7 because I do not have to bias them. Ill pull the old ones out with like a towel or rubber gloves, just in case. I dont want to get electricuted and "get oils from my hands on them so they shatter due to temperature differences." I just want to double check that I do NOT need to bias them. I really dont want to be sorry and screw the amp up. Pre-amp tubes do not need biasing even if you are changing the type (12ax7 to a 12ay7)???? They also do not need to be matched too right??

Im getting my Fulltone OCD hopefully on wednesday and I got a Tweak Fuzz and a crybaby classic which will go good with the amp. I planned on buying some other pedals too, like a Fulltone Soul Bender and a Fender Blender Reissue. But Im definitely getting some pedals for the thing.
                  - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                  - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                  - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                  - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                  - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I'll be honest with ya.....the only reason i can see using a pedal on this thing is if i want to run it at low volumes or if i wanted what Lew calls the "sack full of angry bees" tone . Anywhere above halfway, this thing has killer overdirve, particularly with buckers. No pedals needed.
                    '01 Firebird V
                    '04 Martin HD28V
                    '66 Vibrolux Reverb