Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What amp set up is STYX using?

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
    I like the whole "stacks as a backdrop" thing. I saw Dave Roth many moons ago and they had dummy marshall 4x12's as wide as the stage and stacked up to the lights!

In the other direction...for the last RUSH tour....Geddy played direct with no stage amps and had three front feed glass door cloths dryers where his backline would have been! (I think they had the fridge on the stage for that tour too.)
    Now that's COOL!
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I like the whole "stacks as a backdrop" thing. I saw Dave Roth many moons ago and they had dummy marshall 4x12's as wide as the stage and stacked up to the lights!

In the other direction...for the last RUSH tour....Geddy played direct with no stage amps and had three front feed glass door cloths dryers where his backline would have been! (I think they had the fridge on the stage for that tour too.)
      WTF would he need dryers on stage for? Are they "fluffing" up their music? Is he endorsed by Maytag? LMFAO!!!

Comment

a fridge on the stage.. now THAT is something i'd get LOL

Comment

Well when you are on tour you can either go to some dirty coin op place or you can get the laundry done while the show is going on. Which would YOU choose?

Oh yeah...back on topic. STYX rocks! I think Tommy Shaw is one of the greats and doesn't get enough credit for his tasty guitar work!

Comment

LMFAO!!! I could just hear it in between songs.

"Thank you very much. Now, please excuse me but before we do this next song I need to add the fabric softener."

And yes, Tommy is underrated and underappreciated. After seeing that show last fall, I had a new appreciation for his playing. It was the first time I had seen him play live with anybody.

Comment

"Thank you very much. Now, please excuse me but before we do this next song I need to add the fabric softener."
              Naaww...you just do that when Neil is taking a drum solo.

Comment

Naaww...you just do that when Neil is taking a drum solo.

Comment

In the dryers they had Rush tshirts that said "I got this tshirt from Dryer #3 on the Rush tour" or whatever
                  "I was always interested in the 'little black dots.' You know, the idea that you can take a piece of manuscript paper and write on it and have a whole orchestra at your beck and call - That's creativity."
                  -Steve Vai

Originally posted by bungalowbill
                  I think souping up a mini is akin to putting a Floyd Rose on a ES-175.
                  Agile AL-2500 Blue Flame (GFS Fat PAF set) | Jackson Performer (Ibanez V5 / stock / Agile stock pup) | ESP LTD H207 (PAF7 / Duncan Designed)
                  Korg AX1500G

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                    Very common for production shows like that to have dummy cabs. KISS does it. In fact, I think the cabs on the last tour were cardboard boxes with very detailed poster pics on them. From a distance and with the lighting, you'd never know the difference. Makes for quick packing up too...lol.

I can just about guarantee those heads were fake too. Probably empty boxes with a dummy panel on the front and a light. All the rack gear and amps actually used are off in their "pit" where the tech can keep an eye on things.

When productions get that big, that's just how they do it. For smaller bands, like local opening acts or those that just don't use that much gear and that big a production, sure, their stuff is onstage and you can see it all.

I saw STYX last fall. They put on a killer show. Tommy is such an incredible guitarist as is JY Young. Great band. I was happy to hear them doing stuff like they did before all the ballads starting pouring out. I think they did maybe one when we saw them.
                    The links I posted were in the Styx pit and came from their guitar tech whos name I believe is Jimmy Johnson. I guarantee the pics I showed were of the amps they were using in their shows.

ERic

Comment

LMFAO!!! I could just hear it in between songs.

And yes, Tommy is underrated and underappreciated. After seeing that show last fall, I had a new appreciation for his playing. It was the first time I had seen him play live with anybody.
                      I would agree. Tommy is a hugely underrated guitar player. I've seen very few players who are as versitile. They guy rips on acoustic, electric, slide, mando, you name it.

JY is no slouch either. He can play some tear your head off stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shaka
                        The links I posted were in the Styx pit and came from their guitar tech whos name I believe is Jimmy Johnson. I guarantee the pics I showed were of the amps they were using in their shows.

ERic
                        Those ones in the rack, absolutely. That's the "pit" so to speak. The ones I'm talking about are the head boxes stacked 2 high on top of the 2 to 3 fake cab high wall along the back of the stage.

Definitely can't forget about JY. He played the same Strat all night at the show we say. HSS, Floyd, red with white pickguard, black pickups and knobs. Killer looking axe and he played the bejesus out of it.

Comment

Well, I'm trying the attachments thing. Hopefully it works. This is a more recent pic of Styx's backline. The stuff on the right is Tommy's and the stuff in the back is JY's. I also think that the Marshalls on the back right are JY's as well.

Eric

Comment

Those ones in the rack, absolutely. That's the "pit" so to speak. The ones I'm talking about are the head boxes stacked 2 high on top of the 2 to 3 fake cab high wall along the back of the stage.

Definitely can't forget about JY. He played the same Strat all night at the show we say. HSS, Floyd, red with white pickguard, black pickups and knobs. Killer looking axe and he played the bejesus out of it.
                            Ya JY played a red floyd Strat all night when i saw them too.... Tommy switched from Gibson looking guitars to a 52 style tele and some other odd looking things....

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
                              Ya JY played a red floyd Strat all night when i saw them too.... Tommy switched from Gibson looking guitars to a 52 style tele and some other odd looking things....
                              I'm convinced he had a few Hamers with him. We were too far back for me to tell and he moved around too damn much for the camera to get a good fix on him but one looked damn close to a Hamer, like a Newport.

Shaka, pic didn't attach.

Comment

I'm convinced he had a few Hamers with him. We were too far back for me to tell and he moved around too damn much for the camera to get a good fix on him but one looked damn close to a Hamer, like a Newport.

Shaka, pic didn't attach.
                                Hmm, I'm not sure why the pic didn't work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyway, I put it on the web. Go to this link:

http://www.thesociallyinept.com/styxrig/styxrig.jpg

Tommy has long been a Hamer guy. However, the last several times I've seen him play he was only using Fender and Gibson. He let it slip a while back that he was doing a sig guitar with Gibson but I've heard nothing since then. Maybe the project got scrapped. I do believe that Tommy had one of the first prototypes for the Duotone when he was in Damn Yankees. He also had a killer black Hamer Standard for the first Styx reunion tour in 1996. He also had a cool red Hamer doubleneck for that same tour. You can see both in their concert vid Return to Paradise. As far as concert vics go RTP is really good. I highly recommend it.

Oh, The Socially Inept is a recording project thing I'm doing with my cousin. We have a few really rough demos up there if you'd like to check them out. I can't stress the "rough" part enough. lol

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X