Takes pedals well. Takes pedals bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takes pedals well. Takes pedals bad?

I see the phrase "takes pedals well" often on this forum. I'm curious as to what amps are infamous for NOT taking pedals well.

While we're at it, we might as well sing praises for amps that are really GOOD for accepting pedals.

Re: Takes pedals well. Takes pedals bad?

My definition of "takes pedals well" would mean that the amp keeps it's character and the pedal doesn't make it flub out or get too ice picky. In my opinion most most high gain amps do not "take pedals well" unless you put them in an FX loop.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

5150 takes pedals well - you can get a good range of *good quality* tones depending on your pedals..

bad pedal amps id say would be the JCM 2000 series - the effects loop on at least my DSL401 is pretty useless, and the input always sounds slightly compressed to me - its hard to describe..

Comment

An example of an amp that takes pedals incredibly well is a '59 Bassman. Hi-gain amps usually don't take pedals too well, unless used in the FX loop.
        The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
        And Here on Bandcamp!
        Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
          My definition of "takes pedals well" would mean that the amp keeps it's character and the pedal doesn't make it flub out or get too ice picky. In my opinion most most high gain amps do not "take pedals well" unless you put them in an FX loop.

Luke
          Well said. You can tell just by listening as to wether or not an amp is "getting along" with a pedal.

The pedal should enhance the amp's sound, not detract from it or cover up inadequacies.

Comment

I'd say my old 50 watt NMV Marshall and my BF Fender combos take to pedals pretty well....

As does my Vox Valvetronix VTH 120 head....Maybe it's the pedals that makes more of a difference?
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

My Mesa sounds crap when I plug in my modded Boss DS-1, but my Crate sounds glorious with the same pedal.

The exact opposite is true when I plug in my Danelectro Black Paisley.

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

Comment

I had a old Kustom 150 that the tone would go to mush with ANY OD/Dist. box. I had a Champ 12 that took pedals well, But things got ugly when I used my E.H. LPB-1 into it. I imagine it has a lot to do with the preamp section of the amp. Another instants, A buddy of mine came over with a E.H. Fuzz (The Russian reissue in the wood box) Into my Super 60 it sounded like a real bad distortion pedal. But into my SF twin he was nailing Clapton's Strange Brew tone?
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Most of my Mesas, Fender Amps, old Peavey gear, take most pedals pretty well. My old Marshall JCM 800 was very finicky about the distortion pedal plugged into it.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

My Classic 50 and Classic 30 seemed to of been made for pedal use!!! the loud clean channels on those amps are great for Distortion and OD boxes... But i have noticed some OD and Distortions that sound great thru the C30/50 amps don't sound so good thru the Fender Deluxe amp i have.. All depends on the combo... you have to find the right matches that work... Like for example for amaing fuzzed out guitar my Danoelectro Fab Tone distortion fuzz pedal sounds great for solos thru the Peavey Classic amps but not so good thru my other tube amps...

Comment

Working...
                    X