Fender Twin Vs Dual Showman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Vs Dual Showman

Are they essentially the same amp? I have heard this said before.

Do tell!
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Fender Twin Vs Dual Showman

Same except for the lack of reverb in the Showman.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

I'm pretty sure thay are. Usually, the only difference between these Fender sibling heads is the OT. According to the Fender Amp Field Guide, they both had 4-ohm outputs, so they're probably the exact same amp.

Of course, the Dual Showman Reverb had a big-ass cabinet with two 15" JBL's so it's much cooler. Plus Terry Kath played one (at my first rock concert ever, no less). I'd love to have one of those stacks - though I have no idea what I'd do with it.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
        Are they essentially the same amp? I have heard this said before.

Do tell!
        Power wise yes...... The DS is essentially a Twin in a head..... but because you can hook them up to a variety of speaker configurations they can sound quite a bit different.

I played thru one(w verb) thru a 4 12" loaded with greenbacks that was pretty intense. Very clean but very loud. That same amp thru the stock SHowman bottom sounded much darker yet still kept the clean tone right where you would want a Fender.

If you are considering one of these definately search for one that has reverb. The Reverb just adds more gain to these amps. IF you think in terms of a Deluxe and then a Deluxe Reverb. The DR always sounds better. The Reverb has someting to do with the tone of these amps????
        Last edited by Bludave; 04-10-2006, 09:44 PM.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Yeah, the Dual Showman Reverb is a cool Fender head to own. I had one I found in a Hollywood pawn shop for $150, because a tube was plugged in wrong and the owner thought it was messed up. It turned out to be a cool amp, but not the sound I really wanted, being a Silverface, so I sold it for around $500.
          I think it's actually an amp that sounds better as an open back Twin Reverb combo. With closed back, it got too midrangey in a way I didn't care for.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

thats a good profit there.. haha

I kept my twin reverb, relunctant to sell although someone offered to trade with his MESA boogie mark 3, simul-class
            Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
            Gibson 1959 reissue
            Gibson 1960 reissue
            Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
              If you are considering one of these definately search for one that has reverb. The Reverb just adds more gain to these amps.
              what if you dont want more gain? are there any other benefits to the reverb besides reverb?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
                Terry Kath played one
                Old school Chicago - Terry Kath, he blew his mind out with a gun...
                Great guitarist from the 60's
                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by nepalnt21
                  what if you dont want more gain? are there any other benefits to the reverb besides reverb?
                  IN most Fender amps thatdon't have verb. They just sound weak by comparison to the ones that do. The DS without reverb is still a great amp, but when it comes to Fender tone..... I think reverb plays a very big part of it.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                    IN most Fender amps thatdon't have verb. They just sound weak by comparison to the ones that do. The DS without reverb is still a great amp, but when it comes to Fender tone..... I think reverb plays a very big part of it.
                    yea, i've actually had the chance to play a non-reverb deluxe next to a deluxe reverb....and indeed the DR sounds better. When they are saying it has "more gain", i don't really hear it so much as in more overdrive, but in a stronger and fuller inherent tone
                    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                    >cord<
                    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
                    X