What do you think of 2x12 cabs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of 2x12 cabs??

Well submited a pretty similar thread a while ago, but since ive never had an opportunity to comare 2x12 to the same 4x12 cab, I wonder what do you think about such an idea.. I mean, let's say 2x12 gives you enough power.. Would you still go for 4x12?
    What happens when you plug 100W tube head into 2x12 cab? Does it still sound nice, rich etc? or does the head overpower the cab?
    Much love guys

Re: What do you think of 2x12 cabs??

It's not a factor of overpowering - I mean, it can be, but lots of 212s out there can handle a 100w head. There are two major issues seperating a 212 from a 412 in terms of tonality. Firstly, the 412s tend to be bigger - most are just open boxes on the inside - and even the baffled ones will make use of that large "resonant chamber". That size is what gives 412s that massive bottom end - most 212s just don't have that, but some special models such as the Genz Benz G-Flex do it pretty darn well.
    The other factor relates to power - just that 412s can get away with using lower wattage "vintage" speakers, which provide different tone than most modern high-power models. If both cabs have the same speakers though (perhaps both are loaded with a celestion G12T-75 like they use in Marshalls) the only difference would really be resonance.

Comment

I agree with JRawk.
      Personally, I like the sound of the lower wattage speakers in a 412. The greenbacks and similar speakers have nice midrange and the bass is usually bigger sounding in a 412. Both 212s and 412s can be loud, but I have found that I can play through my 412 at lower volumes than my 212, because it is easier to hear because of the height. My 412 is also easier on my back because I don't have to bend over to push it
      https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

my 2X12 has served me very well for everything from 30 watt amps - 120 watt amps. it can hanlde the power and still has great tone. That being said, 4X12's are still better.

Rock ON ~ Kac
        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

4x12's move so much more air and you feel the music as well as hear it, but 2x12's are so much more accessable. And you can still get wicked tones from the 2x12's as well. In fact all I have are 2) 2x12 cabs right now.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Working...
          X