Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 watt 2x12 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 watt 2x12 combo

What are your thoughts on this amp? Its an all tube about $850 US... My options are limited in amps(due to my location), so this may not be the best!

What do you think? Can you propose any others, I 'll see if i can get a hold of them, but i don't think so... i already know about the peavey classic 50 but i can't find it here...

thanks in advance....
    Originally posted by Marinblues
    Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Re: Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 watt 2x12 combo

I've played a second-hand one before in a guitar shop. It had nice cleans (although not fender clean) and warm marshall JCM-800 style distortion. I could get all those classic crunch tones no problem however it was JUST a inch short of getting a really saturated sound even with the boost engaged on the distortion channel.

For an amp named "fallen angel" I was expecting far more gain to be on tap. It helped a little bit to get to a saturated tone when I plugged a TS-9 in front of it, but I couldn't get that "liquidy" feel going. I was also a bit disappointed in how the bass response was a tad loose. Doesn't really help to get the "chugga-chugga" happening. I think this is partially to blame since the combo is of an open back configuration.

I've heard that these amps really get wild when you crank the $hit out of the master volume and get them tubes glowing however I got pretty nervous when I tried to get the master past about 4 or 5 and the whole damn shop was vibrating from it's output. The good thing however was that I was able to still get great medium-gain/clean tones at low volume. My 50 watt Laney AOR can't do that! It sounds fizzy if you have the master low.

Overall, from my experience, the Fallen Angel is a very nice amp for playing rock music with the bonus of a decent clean channel. I was going to buy the FA-60 combo since it was marked down to a great price but someone else beat me to it. Turns out though this particular amp was having reliability issues in the past and the guy who bought it had to have it worked over by a tech, hence the reason it had by marked down by the previous owner. There are some nasty stories about the Ashdown Fallen Angel and Peacemaker series regarding reliability so I urge you to be weary.

Also, the first generation of Fallen Angels are ones to look out for since they are made in England and superior in tone to the second generation models which are made in Asia.

Finally, despite what I said above about the FA-60 not being gainy enough, I have a clip of the same amp in action that someone posted on the Harmony Central boards awhile ago that kind of proves that notion wrong. Maybe this dudes guitar played a major difference in the results he was getting with the FA-60:
    Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-60-Clip
    Last edited by Animal; 04-11-2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

hey thanks a lot... that was informative... all the research that you did payed off eventually

do you have any other amp to propose ?

Comment

What type of sound are you after?

Comment

I am into blues, classic rock and a bit hard rock... i want the sweet sound but i want the punch also...

Comment

I used to use one in Dordrecth, Holland and was able to get that sound for blues, rick, and hard rock - no problem.
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by fingerace
              I am into blues, classic rock and a bit hard rock... i want the sweet sound but i want the punch also...
              Sounds like what a Peavey Classic or Laney VC or LC series could cover.

Comment

thanks ^ ! i couldn't find a peavey classic here... shipping costs are insane for these things! (amps)

Comment

What kind of amp brands are common in Cyprus?

Comment

Sounds like what a Peavey Classic or Laney VC or LC series could cover. or a crate 3112
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

in cyprus there are more of solid state amps for beginers... i found some ashdown, some laney and some crate all-tube fortunately... most of which are insanely priced... i don't blame the stores (a shiping for a 30W head can be $250!!!!! from an on line store). i am going out of town this saturday and i ll have a chance to check out a well known guitar shop - hope i find something... thanks guys

Edit: went no another store just now: Found a Marshall TSL602 for $1,500. it is supposed to be out of my price range... (since the Fallen angel is $900 here) but i have it under consideration!
                      Last edited by fingerace; 04-14-2006, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X