Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Guitar Port

folks,

please tell me ur experiences with it. i want to do some pc recording with it. is it good? sound quality? especially the heavier channels.
    On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Re: Line 6 Guitar Port

I've one and I think it's great for practice and has some pretty usable tones for recording. If you do want it mainly for recording though, I'd get one of these instead:
    Get the guaranteed best price on Humidifiers for Fretted Instruments like the D'Addario Acoustic Guitar Humidifier with Humidity & Temperature Sensor at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free...
    Gear
    [GUITARS]
    06 Gibson VOS R8 Iced Tea, 05 Gibson Les Paul Jr. Sunburst, 05 Fender Hwy 1 Strat Sapphire Blue, 06 Ibanez AS73 Cherry, 06 Squier Vintage Mod P Bass

[AMPS]
    70's Silverface Champ, 60's Silvertone TwinTwelve, Sovtek Mig50, Avatar 212, Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by TheJangus
      I've one and I think it's great for practice and has some pretty usable tones for recording. If you do want it mainly for recording though, I'd get one of these instead:
      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ear?sku=249701
      +1 on that toneport
      I think it's better than the guitar port. You might was to check out the cheaper version ux1 for the same price of the guitar port, but more features.
      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
      Fender Frontman 15g
      Cry Baby
      Boss DS-2
      Boss CE-3
      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

I'd love to start recording, but some of the aspects of GuitarPort interest me (lessons, etc.). Is that included with the UX1, or do you have to upgrade? Or CAN you upgrade?

Maybe I'll go explore line6.com

Comment

I had a guitar port and to be honest, it was ok... but you do have to PAY for those lessons and whatnot IIRC.

I brought it back, and a year later got a TonePort UX2 and absolutely LOVE IT. Guitar port was to me playing to a computer, whereas the toneport is MUCH more versatile. Case in point, my band uses the toneport to record EVERYTHING. Guitars / Bass / vocals can run direct into the toneport and use the gearbox software for amps, preamps, whatnot, or you can mic out a cab and run it into the toneport and run off all amp/cabinet emulation. VERY EASY to use and record with. My drummer even records through it. We run all his mics into a Behringer RX-16 or something like that mixer, then out into the toneport.

I HIGHLY recommend the toneport. I cannot speak high enough for it, I even bought 300 dollars worth of amp models / effects models I was so impressed. Worth every penny. I can record blues, jazz, metal, all with it. The best part is I might start recording local bands for cheap... how many low-cost studios got Bogners, Diezels, Plexis, Plexi's with Variacs, Silver Jubilees, Cornfords, etc.? None around here! My guitar teacher said the toneport recording sounds as good as the recording he shelled out tons of money for a demo.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

So joe, you run the guitars/bass into the toneport directly? Can you record two guitars at once with the UX2?

Comment

Check the link to the clips in my signature - all clips done with a guitarport

When I got mine, there was no tone port. If I was in the market now for a cheap recording solution I'd probably buy a toneport though.

AFAIK, the models are the same in both the Toneport and the Guitarport. The Toneport has more features though.
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid
              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Wow, nuntius, that sounded great! I really liked the "wah/volume" track! What did you use to record it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rushfan2112
                  So joe, you run the guitars/bass into the toneport directly? Can you record two guitars at once with the UX2?
                  Only one guitar can be recorded by UX2 if you use the input. For 2 guitars you can mic a guitar and input one, the other choice is just micing both guitars.
                  Fender Frontman 15g
                  Cry Baby
                  Boss DS-2
                  Boss CE-3
                  Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

i have also some experience with the guitar port, but i use the software and the xt live, instead of the actual guitar port, even thou the guitar port sounds ok, no, it sounds good and better than those plugins that you have to connect the guitar to the mic input on your sound card.... thats a relief.
                    but for 150 bucks is a bargan for all those great sound amps
                    JJ
                    And Heavy Metal For All...

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                      Only one guitar can be recorded by UX2 if you use the input. For 2 guitars you can mic a guitar and input one, the other choice is just micing both guitars.
                      Yep, exactly. Not sure why you'd want two guitars at once, it's much easier to use two seperate tracks. you CAN use two microphones at the same (either in mono or in stereo, which is cool). Another cool thing about the Toneport is recording practices. We stick two microphones in the practice room and just hit record when we play songs. It's really great for hearing how a song really sounds.

As for how we record, I personally go straight into the toneport. It wouldn't make sense for me to mic my less-than-perfect Peavey Ultra into a Marshall AVT412, since those speakers aren't exactly the best type to hear on the record. For my rock/punk band, I use the Bogner Uberschall setting with the gain on 50%. For my solo stuff, typically I go for the tweed settings like the bassman or small tweed, and AC30's... etc. My other guitarist like his Piece-O-Crap Crate solid state amp for some reason... so we mic him out into the toneport with all modeling off. the toneport rocks man.

Comment

Does the guitar port work good with mics like the Sm57? I was thinking about getting a toneport eventually so I could use it as practice amp and for recording the amp I got right now.
                        Fender Frontman 15g
                        Cry Baby
                        Boss DS-2
                        Boss CE-3
                        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

The only reason I ask about the two guitars is that it's a little hard for me to lay down a rhythm and then a lead. I like to have a little groove with the other guitarist. So can you record two tracks at once?

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                            Does the guitar port work good with mics like the Sm57? I was thinking about getting a toneport eventually so I could use it as practice amp and for recording the amp I got right now.
                            The toneport works (to my ears) exceptionally well with the SM57 we use to mic my buddy's cab, as well as my bassist's Ampeg 10inch speakers. Honestly, its probably the best investment I've made in musical gear. I love everything about it. You can even further process the sound of the miced cab, or you can set the amp model to "No Amp" and it's just the straight sound into your favorite recording program.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushfan2112
                              The only reason I ask about the two guitars is that it's a little hard for me to lay down a rhythm and then a lead. I like to have a little groove with the other guitarist. So can you record two tracks at once?
                              Unless you have two seperate sends, nah I don't think you can record two tracks at once. Even still, if you and your buddy are plugged into the toneport at the same time, you'd need to be micing both of your amps, and the tone would kind of be mush. Whats wrong with recording the rythym first, and then going back and recording the lead over it on a seperate track? You'll still hear the rhythm playing while you track the lead lines over it. I'm pretty sure thats the way 99% of people do it anyways, but I'm new to recording myself.

All I know is I'm really liking my toneport and running it into Ableton Live 4.something. Ableton Live is a pretty good program. May not be the "industry standard" but, it works good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X