Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk 10" speakers

I'm in the market for a 10" speaker....

I'm looking for british tone..i.e. celestion...of course theres the celestion V10...but emincence has the RamRod which gets high marks as having " 12" attitude in a 10" size"....

The amp in question is SS and 30 watts.......so I wouldn't neccessarily WANT alot, if any, speaker breakup....I want to keep with "classic marshall-type" sounds..heavy in the mids (lower mids especially), fairly tight bass, and not piercing highs or high mids....

any recco's from the speaker Gurus? Lew? Christian? Kev? Mr. Spina?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Lets talk 10" speakers

http://southbayampworks.com/speakers.html scroll down to the bottom and check out sound clips for the SA10-75 speaker......it sounds boss
    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70
      http://southbayampworks.com/speakers.html scroll down to the bottom and check out sound clips for the SA10-75 speaker......it sounds boss
      Thanks for the link!

They do sound great (and I love those Gibson GT amps)..but thats quite a bit more than I wanted to pay...it's rougly 70% the price of the amp in question The eminence is only around $60.

Were this a good tube amp, I wouldn't mind..but...
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I like the 10" Celestion that's in the Marshall Lead 12. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Eminence line recently in my 2x12 quest. I'd imagine their 10" speakers to be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
          I like the 10" Celestion that's in the Marshall Lead 12.
          Thanks for that pearl of wisdom there, bro

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
            Thanks for that pearl of wisdom there, bro

You're quite welcome. Please, hold your applause. Tips can go in the jar to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              You're quite welcome. Please, hold your applause. Tips can go in the jar to the left.

Here's a tip to put in your jar:

:fing25:

Comment

That was good, bro. Very good.

Comment

I Am Getting A Eminence Ragin' Cagin' For A More Southern Rock Tone.the Ramrod Should Be Good For The British Sound
                  sigpic
                  08'Gibson Les Paul Traditional Iced Tea
                  Vox Valvetronix ad30vt, Tech 21 Trademark 60

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                    I'm in the market for a 10" speaker....

I'm looking for british tone..i.e. celestion...of course theres the celestion V10...but emincence has the RamRod which gets high marks as having " 12" attitude in a 10" size"....

The amp in question is SS and 30 watts.......so I wouldn't neccessarily WANT alot, if any, speaker breakup....I want to keep with "classic marshall-type" sounds..heavy in the mids (lower mids especially), fairly tight bass, and not piercing highs or high mids....

any recco's from the speaker Gurus? Lew? Christian? Kev? Mr. Spina?
                    Your description of what tone you are looking for matches the RamRod dead on.
                    I have a RamRod in a $hitty 25w Fender Frontman amp and it made the amp tolerable for noddling and practice. I have two English Vintage 10s in the bottom of my '59 Bassman and I've compared the RamRod to a single Vintage 10. I prefer the Vintage 10 because it has more upper mids and a brighter top end. The RamRod is very dark and it appears that is what your looking for.

Edit - I listened to the sound samples of the Scumback speakers and they sound great but... a Super Goldtone GA30RVH makes any speaker I've ever plugged into mine sound awesome!
                    Last edited by slightly_rude; 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                    Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                    Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                    Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by slightly_rude
                      Your description of what tone you are looking for matches the RamRod dead on.
                      I have a RamRod in a $hitty 25w Fender Frontman amp and it made the amp tolerable for noddling and practice. I have two English Vintage 10s in the bottom of my '59 Bassman and I've compared the RamRod to a single Vintage 10. I prefer the Vintage 10 because it has more upper mids and a brighter top end. The RamRod is very dark and it appears that is what your looking for.
                      Thanks for the FYI

anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                      X