Oh Cool.....It's Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh Cool.....It's Here!

Attenuators are very cool tools but unless you are dealing with a very small amp they are just not good for getting a good crunchy tone at low levels. I've been really digging mine...as long as you don't turn down past about 7 on the dial I can still dial in a good tone and even though all my amps are still pretty loud it does knock quite a bit of volume off! Im not sure how much I will ise it for practice but for gigging it's gonna be a great tool. I have been using it to knock a few db's off my Sound City 50+ head so I can get the amp running a bit to get some natural compression and I still use a pedal for my crunch but it still sounds far better going into the amp on say 4 or so with the attenuator on than it does with the attenuator off and the amp on 1 or less.

Anyway, sorry it didn't pan out for ya John...at least Ted is a cool guy and is gonna take it back.

I have a feeling you'll enjoy your vacation better anyway!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
      Good info guys. I was starting to get a little wound up towards one of those sweet-looking little boxes, but maybe I'll just start using ear-plugs....lol.
      To John: in regards to dialing in a good clean tone on the amp and using pedals; that's exactly what I've been doing with my DSL. I used to have way too many pedals on this big, huge pedal board I bought from NYC Pedalboards (this two-level "condo" is around 3 ft. long and at one time housed as many as 13 pedals!) until I narrowed it down to about 7 or 8 (that's still quite a few) of my fav's. I use 2 TS-9's, one modded by you and one by Steve D., 2 modded wah's (the vox u modded 4 me is the most *****in' wah I've ever played), a chorus, microvibe, flange, and a couple of echos.
      My tone improved 100% just reducing the traffic between amp and guitar and making sure the pedals I do use maintain minimum line-noise as the signal runs it's course. But it's still freakin' loud!

....Bob
      Bobby....I Use a modded TS 808,Plexitone,Wah,Pickup Booster,and a modded DS1....If I use my Marshall or my Pro Reverb,I add a fulltone mini deja vibe and a Dan Echo pedal into the line....I've trimmed down alot also...The Plexitone,Tube Screamer,and the DS1 takes care of most of my needs and a good clean tone from the amp..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
        Attenuators are very cool tools but unless you are dealing with a very small amp they are just not good for getting a good crunchy tone at low levels. I've been really digging mine...as long as you don't turn down past about 7 on the dial I can still dial in a good tone and even though all my amps are still pretty loud it does knock quite a bit of volume off! Im not sure how much I will ise it for practice but for gigging it's gonna be a great tool. I have been using it to knock a few db's off my Sound City 50+ head so I can get the amp running a bit to get some natural compression and I still use a pedal for my crunch but it still sounds far better going into the amp on say 4 or so with the attenuator on than it does with the attenuator off and the amp on 1 or less.

Anyway, sorry it didn't pan out for ya John...at least Ted is a cool guy and is gonna take it back.

I have a feeling you'll enjoy your vacation better anyway!
        I use Ted's speakers and he's a great guy...I've been a pretty loyal customer in that respect...It's something I needed to try,but I really like the amp as is and without it being squeezed back...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          I think I Like keeping the volume lower on my Marshall and using the right pedal instead of the Weber Mass.....I'm finding there's this grainey,harshness riding over my notes(Like a stock Boss DS1) that I don't like....I'm attempting to hook up with Ted and see if I can return it...Maybe cool for most people,but I'm really not that thrilled with it overall after more time with it today and after the honeymoon..LOL
          This is pretty much what I found when I got one last year. Something about it just didnt work for me with my Rivera. I gave it a try for about a month than decided to let it go.I could see how it could really work for some situations but I found I didnt really need it. I think I was hoping it would allow my amp to create some tones that I hadnt crank it up enough to hear yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kjrocks
            This is pretty much what I found when I got one last year. Something about it just didnt work for me with my Rivera. I gave it a try for about a month than decided to let it go.I could see how it could really work for some situations but I found I didnt really need it. I think I was hoping it would allow my amp to create some tones that I hadnt crank it up enough to hear yet.
            It added this harsh grainey crap over my notes...Almost sounded synthetic...Best just to keep the amp clean,round,and full sounding and use the right pedal in the front of it....I think the Fulltone OCD is a good pedal for this also...The CM Plexitone is currently doing a great job also.

Comment

I've almost pulled the trigger on a Plexitone a couple of times but now this talk of the SFX03 has thinking about that too. The thing is I dont know if I'll like either because my amp already does the Marshall thing really well. I guess I'm just looking to add nice OD options to the mix easliy.

Comment

Yesterday I boxed up the Mass and sent it back for my full refund..

Comment

Working...
                X