Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 or 50W Weber Blue Dog??

Hi!
    1) Im replacing 2 G12T-75's in Marshall 1960a with 2 Ceramic Blue Dogs. The problem is, i don't know which power to choose 30 or 50W? What I need is:
    -better cut through the mix
    -better clean
    -warmer, richier tone
    -smoother overdrive
    I play a strat through Triamp mk2
    So what do you advise me to do??? Go for 30 or 50W?

2) What impedance should I choose to match the speakers with the 1960a cab?

Thanks very much

Re: 30 or 50W Weber Blue Dog??

I'd save up enough money to change out all 4 speakers for Celestion Greenbacks. Trust me, they're woodier, warmer, smoother, richer speakers than the Webers I had in there (I felt they were a bit too harsh and grainy with the Triamp). I'm assuming the back of the Triamp head has a 4 ohm output? If so, I'd order 4- 16 ohm Greenbacks and wire them in parallel for 4 ohms. 4 Greenbacks will support 100w and because you're not going above and beyond that, you'll really get those cones moving the way they should.

I had the ceramic Blue Dogs/Silver Bells when I had my Triamp Mk. 1 and they came loaded in the Fargen Epic 30 DC/VOS when I owned it. Both times I disliked the tone. It just wasn't sweet enough for me.
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by edi_87
      Hi!
      1) Im replacing 2 G12T-75's in Marshall 1960a with 2 Ceramic Blue Dogs. The problem is, i don't know which power to choose 30 or 50W? What I need is:
      -better cut through the mix
      -better clean
      -warmer, richier tone
      -smoother overdrive
      I play a strat through Triamp mk2
      So what do you advise me to do??? Go for 30 or 50W?

2) What impedance should I choose to match the speakers with the 1960a cab?

Thanks very much
      Me personally, I would get the 50 watt speaker because 30 watters may not cut through as well mixing with the 75 watters you have now. They may, but I don't think so. It will also give you a 200 watt cabinet instead of a 120 watt cab. That Triamp though--it may sound better with the greenbacks like Chris said. Just my opinion though.

As far as the impedence, you gotta match it up with the ones you have. If they're 16, you gotta use 16. Eight, get two 8 ohm blue dogs.

Hope this helps.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

The 50 watters will be a tad cleaner and will have a slightly smoother top end.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

What about a mixture of the new celestion blues (50 watt) and greenbacks
          Gondola Kid
          Bandcamp
          Facebook
          JimijaymesGuitarist
          Youtube

Comment

Working...
          X