Can anyone recommend a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a...

...good quality, affordable patch bay for a live guitar rig application?

Re: Can anyone recommend a...

I checked out a Neutrik one at GC today for a hundred bucks that seemed OK.... anyone else have any alternatives?

Comment

Cheaper alternative: Drill, aluminum sheet, 20 1/4" jacks, 2 rolls wire, one roll solder, 2 hours time, patience

if you calculate your time in, the Neutrik is cheaper again
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        Cheaper alternative: Drill, aluminum sheet, 20 1/4" jacks, 2 rolls wire, one roll solder, 2 hours time, patience

if you calculate your time in, the Neutrik is cheaper again
        What kind of 1/4 inch jacks would be best to use?

Comment

How many jacks do you intend to use? I use Neutrix 1/4" jacks for this kind of thing. My "patch bay" is only two jacks in the front of my rack that I use to add my wireless receiver in before my Triaxis. I used a steel single rack space cover and drilled two holes through it to install the jacks. I think the total cost was under $15. The steel space cover was under $5 at GC and the Neutrix 1/4" jacks are around $5 a piece if I am not mistaken.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
            How many jacks do you intend to use? I use Neutrix 1/4" jacks for this kind of thing. My "patch bay" is only two jacks in the front of my rack that I use to add my wireless receiver in before my Triaxis. I used a steel single rack space cover and drilled two holes through it to install the jacks. I think the total cost was under $15. The steel space cover was under $5 at GC and the Neutrix 1/4" jacks are around $5 a piece if I am not mistaken.
            I'd need 4 total, so I guess that makes 8 jacks? No stereo/parallel stuff or anything like that. Just in and out, tip to tip.

Where can I get these Neutrix jacks? I'd like them to be 1/4" - 1/4"

Comment

Whirlwind makes patchbays.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                Whirlwind makes patchbays.
                Looking at their website and at Neutrik's.... cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                  I'd need 4 total, so I guess that makes 8 jacks? No stereo/parallel stuff or anything like that. Just in and out, tip to tip.

Where can I get these Neutrix jacks? I'd like them to be 1/4" - 1/4"
                  Since you only need 8 jacks I'd highly recommend that you build your own.

Get a blank or predrilled rack panel and some regular old 1/4" jacks like the kind that are inside a guitar.

The store bought patchbay won't hold up too well in a guitar rig. That stuff doesn't like to be moved too often.
                  J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                  mixer|producer|recordist
                  mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                  All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

What about strapping THIS to a rack shelf?

Comment

Seems a little 'cheese-whiz' to me but if it works for you...

Going the DIY route will yeild a far superior product. And it's not THAT hard to do!
                      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Behringer makes patchbays (PX series), and they are very customizable without having to modify the routing electronically.

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose
                          Seems a little 'cheese-whiz' to me but if it works for you...

Going the DIY route will yeild a far superior product. And it's not THAT hard to do!
                          I suppose... I understand as far as wiring and fixing up the plate and the "in" jacks but what about the other end? Is there something like a shell I can buy? Do I get another plate and jerry-rig it up? What? Do I just get a single metal plate and mount up 1/4" female to 1/4" female plugs? What?

Comment

I guess it depends on what you need the other side to be.

What's the application? Patch into sht on the front rather then going behind the amp & rack all the time?

I'd probably bundle & cut the rear cables (going to the gear) to length with 1/4" male jacks on one end and bare on the other...solder the bare ends to 1/4" jacks that are mounted to a one-rackspace panel.

Can't be more then $30-50 of parts there including the rack panel...that's probably $15-20 alone.

Anyway, it's the most solid & reliable way to have a traveling patchbay. Your signals gotta travel through all those connections, they should be as few & high quality as possible!
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose
                              I guess it depends on what you need the other side to be.

What's the application? Patch into sht on the front rather then going behind the amp & rack all the time?
                              Basically. 4 ports
                              ~Amp input (coming from pedal on board, going into amp input)
                              ~FX loop send and return jacks. (duuur)
                              ~Amp channel selector jack (mono 1/4 plug with the tip being the hot)

The idea is to have all the appropriate stuff and connections kept wired to the head, so for live gigs I just pop open the rack, plug the connections from my board straight into the front panel, and go.

I'd probably bundle & cut the rear cables (going to the gear) to length with 1/4" male jacks on one end and bare on the other...solder the bare ends to 1/4" jacks that are mounted to a one-rackspace panel.

Can't be more then $30-50 of parts there including the rack panel...that's probably $15-20 alone.
                              Yeah I thought of just hardwiring the cables to the jacks, but I'm afraid of them coming undone for getting yanked loose somehow. Any way to protect them if I go that route? I'm currently looking into boxes and panels that Whirlwind offers and I've already decided on Neutrik chassis-mount 1/4 jacks with gold contacts and a lock mechanism. As far as using cables... i wonder if Planet Waves cablestation cables will work for that... whats a good bulk cable to use for apps like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X