Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: good affordable tube amps?

did anyone define "affordable?"

the ampeg j12t jet reissue is pretty sweet in the world of sub-$500 tube amps. 2xEL84 with verb.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Scott.....your stuff seems very affordable considering what others charge for boutique gear. Are you doing this for a living or is it still just an EXTREMELY advanced hobby?
      '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
      '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
      '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
      '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
      '01 Firebird V
      '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
      '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
      '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
      '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
      '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
      '04 Martin HD28V
      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
      Marshall 1987x RI
      Soultone 18w
      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
        Scott.....your stuff seems very affordable considering what others charge for boutique gear. Are you doing this for a living or is it still just an EXTREMELY advanced hobby?
        Truth be told, I get a generous discount from several parts suppliers. Enough so that I making some money in the process. I will someday do this full time if God continues to smile in my general direction. But, to get a great reputation, you have to get amps in people's hands. To get them into hands, you have to price them agressively to get folks to take the gamble on a totally new builder.

You can bet your boots that my prices will eventually rise a bit. I'm likely to get audited this year, but I know that going into it and I've got documentation out my a$$ in order to prove every expenditure, along with a business plan that documents what I'm going to a T.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by mattleesc
          just played a reverend kingsnake earlier and HOLY ****, my kustom 30 watts sounds like crap now. super super demoralising. the cleans sound so much punchier and warmer and just so.. alive.

any cheaper tube amps with great cleans to use with my gt2 and other pedals? was thinking of something around 20~30 watts, like the peavey classics or something. any suggestions?

thanks!
          Reverend has dicontinued their amps. If you like that tone, look for a used one of those. If price is a problem or you want less watts, the Reverend Goblin is similar and they sold new for $45O to $500. One will show up on ebay eventually. Last Friday I picked a new one up at a local dealer and I love it. It's supposed to be similar to the Kingsnake, just lest watts and less dollars. It kills.
          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Traynor TCV series
            Peavey Classic series

Comment

Originally posted by Pecan
              I have the same problem, It really does come and go, it can come at any time. If you find a cure please tell me cause I plan on keeping my classic 30. The gain channel is... limiting, I normaly need to keep my gain on max even with it at a decent volume. The cleans are wonderful, slightly cloudy but still sparkly. The mids thing is what I love about it. I have to admit I hate the bass though, but I can live with it because apart from that its perfect when I wanna play some classic rock.
              I was kind of shocked how good my stock MIM Standard tele sounded thru my C30.. But for the most part i love Gibson style guitars thru it the most... that thicker midrange of Gibson style guitars makes the C30 sing!

As far as the rattle goes i have been thinking of removing the amp guts and turn it into a head... but then i figure it's meant to be a combo and i already have a c50 head.... Mind you there is a difference in tone between the C30 and the C50... The C50 seems to have a bit more warmth and gain to my ears..

Comment

Carvin vintage 16
                Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

laney LC15 .. getting one next week. detailed thread to follow

Comment

Whatever you pick...if you want a deal do not buy brand new...get on ebay and if you are patient and bid smartly you can get a great deal on just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolrock
                      Whatever you pick...if you want a deal do not buy brand new...get on ebay and if you are patient and bid smartly you can get a great deal on just about anything.
                      true... i've never bought anything gear wise off ebay yet.... but 90% of my semi-large collection of amps-(7) and guitars-(over20) have been used and deals!!!! some are real fixer uppers and others are just being in the right place at the right time.

Comment

I'm happy with my Crate Club 20...15w el84, 1x10. Price is around $250 used.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolrock
                          eBay is definitely kickass for gear purchases. I've already bought so many guitar related things from there, you just have to buy intelligently.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Without a doubt one of the best cheap tube amps is the Ampeg Reverberocket at the Ampeg Jet's. I have a Revererocket that has been awesome for about ten years. I have two high priced boutique amps and STILL use the Reverberocket. It has a great tone, especially when you just crank the clean channel.

Oh yeah, I love the Reverend Hellhound as well but sadly they aren't being made. sniff sniff

Comment

Working...
                            X