No announcement yet.

Changing speakers in a low watt combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing speakers in a low watt combo?

Hi there i have heard alot of good things, about changing speakers to get better tones on this forum, if i were to change the stock Eminence speaker in my 20watt tube 1x12 hughes and kettner combo for say something like a celestion g12h30 would i notice a tone improvement in tones? I have had this idea that speaker swapping only is suited for things like cabs with 2 or more speakers?

Dills
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Changing speakers in a low watt combo?

changing to another speaker will most likely make a noticeable difference in tone- 1 speaker or 4 speakers, it works the same- the big thing is deciding what speaker to use.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Im after something really smooth in the mids and hi end but still has some bite with a tight low end that dosent overpower the other frequencies. Suitable for classic rock.
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

"Low-watt combos" is a strange market segment. Some low-watt-combos are built for people who believe that cranked-up low-power amps give the best tone and buy nice amps built specifically for this purpose. These are mostly boutique amps.

Another part of this group is simply "cheap tube amps". There are many models out there that are designed to make a tube amp as affordable as possible. You could argue that the "all tube" label is more important than tone - components are certainly selected primarily selected to meet the price point, and the speaker is one of the major contributors to the amp's overall cost. Good examples of this kind of amp are the Fender Blues Junior and the new Ibanez line of small tube amps (Valve King?).

Many people have found that re-fitting these amps with a quality speaker helps a lot. So, when corners have been cut, the speaker is an easy way to make a major improvement. ANY good speaker would be a step up, even moreso if you take the time to find a good speaker that's suited to you taste and playing style.

Back in the boutique world, the builders put a lot of effort into making sure the speaker is matched to the amp. Chances are the stock speaker is a pretty good one. But, it may not be suited to your particular style, so finding a speaker that suits your taste could also be an improvement.

The problem is that it's entirely possible to spend big bucks on a speaker that sounds awful to you. If possible, try out as many speakers as you can with your amp - borrow friend's cabinets, plug your amp into other combos' speakers, swap speakers around, whatever. If you can't do that, then read reviews, post your style/preferences on the forum and ask for suggestions, etc. Do some research, make an informed choice, and a speaker swap can be the biggest bang for your buck/effort that you can get.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
        X