Pop out casters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop out casters?

My amp weighs a Ton. And I've been thinking of Putting in a set of Pop-out casters, So I can roll it around, and still be able to Remove the wheels. So it doesn't move when I don't want it too.
    But I was wondering, Would this Effect the value of the amp? If it would I probably won't do it, seeing as my amps value seems to be increaseing over the past few years.
    But if it wouldn't effect the value to much, can anyone recommend a place to get some? I'm assumeing The ones at Lowes/homedepot are fine, but if not can someone recommend good ones, and where to get them?
    thanks.
    -edward
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Pop out casters?

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100
    My amp weighs a Ton. And I've been thinking of Putting in a set of Pop-out casters, So I can roll it around, and still be able to Remove the wheels. So it doesn't move when I don't want it too.
    But I was wondering, Would this Effect the value of the amp? If it would I probably won't do it, seeing as my amps value seems to be increaseing over the past few years.
    But if it wouldn't effect the value to much, can anyone recommend a place to get some? I'm assumeing The ones at Lowes/homedepot are fine, but if not can someone recommend good ones, and where to get them?
    thanks.
    -edward
    It will effect the value of the amp and it'll remove some lowend also,but make your tone clearer by raising the cab up off the floor...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      It will effect the value of the amp and it'll remove some lowend also,but make your tone clearer by raising the cab up off the floor...
      Hmm, How much would it effect the value? Like considerably? And why would it remove some of the low end?
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

I liked the Ernie Ball pop out casters. Run you around $30 or so, and they're easy to install with a drill and the right bits.

Don't forget to drill pilot holes for your screws.
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I think I pay $15 for the EB casters at GC and I have installed them on a couple of amps with great success.

They are removeable so your tone wont be affected when they are not installed. I wouldn't worry about value loss on the amp too much, it's only casters. Most guys are fussy about original trannys and some folks frown on re-capped amps even though original caps are often quite noisey in vintage amps. Unless this is a quite old, collectable or rare amp I wouldn't sweat casters killing the value.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Get the 2" casters from Mesa Boogie!!!!

These are mounted with a track rail--the wheel slides into the track and is locked in by a spring loaded pushbutton. Nice low profile, with better longevity than the standard pop-in casters (the socket towers break).

More expensive initially, but BETTER resale value, IMHO.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I can promise you that adding casters won't effect the value of your cab.

They might "affect" it though, if the job isn't done cleanly.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100
                Hmm, How much would it effect the value? Like considerably? And why would it remove some of the low end?
                Whenever your cab sits on the floor you get more lowend....When you raise the cab,you lose some lows....Just physics..Try it and you'll see.
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

of course John's right....when I put casters on my bass cab and then on my combo...man what a difference, but it's not always a bad thing..takes away the overly boominess of an amp in some situations. In the situation of my super reverb, taking away a little low end wouldn't be a bad thing..it's a little bassy.

as for resale value, to some people they take away the value, to some people they add, and some people just don't care. i'd say a majority of people don't care about casters, assuming they're put on well. I put the pop out casters on my bass combo so that I can pop them out and still sit the combo on top of my 4x10 without fear of it rolling off
                  Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                  It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
                    of course John's right....when I put casters on my bass cab and then on my combo...man what a difference, but it's not always a bad thing..takes away the overly boominess of an amp in some situations. In the situation of my super reverb, taking away a little low end wouldn't be a bad thing..it's a little bassy.

as for resale value, to some people they take away the value, to some people they add, and some people just don't care. i'd say a majority of people don't care about casters, assuming they're put on well. I put the pop out casters on my bass combo so that I can pop them out and still sit the combo on top of my 4x10 without fear of it rolling off
                    Depends on the gig,room,etc..whether to leave the casters on or not...On a combo,the casters will make the amp unstable and easier to fall foward....Also the rolling around of your amp from the parking lot outside and into the area you are going to play,is going to be harder on things like tubes etc.and stuff inside of your amp? When you carry your amp or use a hand truck etc..you're taking better care..

I place a 2x4 under my combo amps.This tilts the speakers up just an extra bit and gives me better projection...Just some things to ponder from my own experiences...

The 2x4 is cheaper also,maybe doesn't look as cool,but at least you aren't drilling holes in an otherwise "sound" cabinet.

Comment

well with my bass amp there are no tubes, but I agree on the other counts. There's no way on earth i'd consider putting casters on my super reverb. I'd rather pay the cash to get a road case for it that has the huge 3" or 5" wheels on it
                      Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                      It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Working...
                      X