banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better off getting another amp or modding my current one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better off getting another amp or modding my current one?

Well as you know I've asked alot of questions about tubes/speakers in the past for my current amp...

Well I just made friends with some one who can get me anything fender for wholesale prices...

So heres what I'm facing. Re-tube and change the speakers in my current amp to bring its clean headroom way up. (Probably vintage 30's[looking for suggestions] with harder tubes.)

Or look at a lower priced new fender amp, probably something in the hotrod line. Like a HRD or maybe a deveille if I can get a little more cash. I was also looking at a blues junior so I could have something I could actually carry out of the house.

I'm just looking for a more vintage-american overdriven tone.(Gritty/cutting, not smooth.) My peavey currently sounds very british, It also distorts around 4 and sounds overly distorted when cranked. (No, I stoped using that marshall pedal like a year ago, its just how the amp natrualy sounds.)

Suggestions?
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Re: Better off getting another amp or modding my current one?

If I could get a Fender amp at wholesale - I would be all over it. Everybody needs a Fender amp! The Hot Rod Deluxe will give you a lot of clean head room - but the lead channel sucks! Blues Jrs are great, I have 2 - but not alot of clean head room, but I like the way they start to break up pretty early. Go play some, you'll hear 1 you like - Take your own guitar with you!

Comment

Get a new amp. Replacing speakers & tubes likely won't yield the results you seek.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Get yourself a SF Bassman and have it modded for BF operation. That, combined with a nice 2x12 cab, should make for a ripping set up.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Take the HRD or the Deville - PREFERABLY the 2x12 models so you can play with the speakers. Definitely consider a Jensen if you want some throaty growl and breakup. Since you really seem to want some loud American clean, I highly recommend looking at replacing one or both speakers with a Eminence speaker. I have loved some of their models with Fender amps, esp the higher wattage ones which don't break up as much. I have even enjoyed using my Mesa ext cab with a C90 in it or my Altec 417B (which sounded good surprisingly, not ideal but pretty good.)
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
          X