No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,
    Haven't really found any info on the new Avatar Premier Vintage Custom cab but decided to order one today and test it out. Figure worst case is that if it's not happening with the 2 week return period then it's out of here. Getting it loaded with 1 hellatone 30 and one hellatone 60. Will be driving it with a Peavey Vintage 30 for recording purposes. Has anyone else gotten this particular cab?
    Dave
    www.recordla.com
    Professional music producer for the singer/songwriter or band. 4 room facility in Los Angeles

Re: Avatar Beta Tester

I'm pretty sure that's just the G12H30/V30 "special" cab, loaded with Dave's own-logo Celestions instead of Celestion-labeled Celestions. Supposed to be one of the greatest-sounding cabs around, for teeny-tiny dollars.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

It's actually not that cab but a new one. Looks just like the Bogner 2x12. That's what got me interested. Little worried seeing how the kid I ordered from hadn't heard the cabinet,and he's a guitar player so I know I'm taking a chance. You can see it on Avatar's homepage. www.avatarspeakers.com
      Last edited by davey boy; 04-19-2006, 12:38 AM.
      Dave
      www.recordla.com
      Professional music producer for the singer/songwriter or band. 4 room facility in Los Angeles

Comment

My bad - I hadn't seen that cab before. It's purty, hope it sounds as good. With those 2 speakers, it should. Let us know when you get it.

I wonder if he'd do one in green?
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I've seen that one on their site for the past few months. I'm curious about it myself and very interested to know what you think about it. In the next 6-8 months I'll be needing a 2x12 myself.

Comment

OK, I've had the cab for a few days now and can give a short report. First off I'm only using a Peavey C30. My first reaction with the cab was that it sounded really nice but couldn't handle the bass of the Peavey. It was really resonating bad. So, I cut out 1" thick compressed fiberglass (703) and wedged in on all 4 sides. That seemed to fix it. That and turning down the bass on the amp. This is before I started recording with it so wasn't really used to it plus just got the amp and haven't really played with it that much. So, now I'm recording and had to turn the bass down anyway. The cab just sounded dead though compared to when I first got it (before I put 703 inside) and since my bass eq had changed dramatically I thought that my first impression was wrong because of pilot error. So today I took out the insulation and it's actually fine. There's some excess vibrations on the back panel on certain notes but I'm being extremely picky. Don't think I'll here that if it's close miked and most people wouldn't even notice. It got me wondering if all closed back cabs have a little bit of that problem.

Sound wise it's a beautiful sounding cabinet!!! Really warm. Miking both speakers it's interesting hearing the differences. I'm not really like the hellatone 60 (vintage 30) as much as the hellatone 30 but when I combine them together it's a great sound. I have vintage 30's in another amp and feel like I can tell the sound of that speaker. More mid rangey and not as much low or high end as the G12H (hellatone 30). I have another G12H that I might pop in at some point.

Went to a boutizue amp shop yesterday to try some stuff. Tried a bogner shiva through the bogner 2x12 cab which the Avatar is "modeled" after. I could tell right away that it had V30's by the mid range honk. Anyway, the cab didn't sound any better, actually not as good because the speakers IMHOP. Also, wasn't real impressed by the amp. That little Peavey has more bottom end and just as nice of a clean sound. The dirt channels are different but I don't know if they're $1700 different Anyway, that's a different topic. I'm having a complete blast using real amps again after many, many years using pods, plugs ins, Tonelabs, etc. Yuck!!!! I'm envisioning a future of getting a few amps. Such a difference in sound that it's laughable.

Bottom line: This is a really great sounding cab, looks beautiful, built like a tank (I've taken it apart 4 times and have checked for loose screws, haven't found any). I think it'll sound great with many different heads.
            Dave
            www.recordla.com

Comment

thanks for the review...i've been wondering about that combo for awhile now!
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks for the review. I love the look of that cab and think it would look great with my Marshall head sitting on top.

Comment

this would look good

with this sitting on top
                  Originally posted by jeremy
                  God hates bad guitar tone
                  GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                  AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                  EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                  Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

yeah, avatar makes great ****
                    Originally posted by gibson175
                    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I had a 2x12 vertical avatar in black carpet and industrial metal grille. It was closed back and I"m more of an open back guy but it was a great cab.

In this new style dave is offering, I find it interesting that the way they attached the front and back pannels with dado and rabibit joints. That's pretty cool.

Mojo has been building me such good stuff as of late that I dont' want to switch builders. Also, when I approached Avatar about building me cabs, they wouldn't ship me one without the logo. So, I passed.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                      X