Question about Power Attentuators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Power Attentuators

I have a quick question about power attentuators. While looking for one, I saw under the THD Hot Plate that it can be used as a dummy load for amps as well. I know you're not supposed to run pedals in between the amp head and the cabinet because of ohm load problems or something, but can you put them after the dummy load in the system, which would be the power attentuator? Would you be able to do this with any power attentuator, like a Weber Mass? Thanks!

-Corbic
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Re: Question about Power Attentuators

only on the line out, not on the speaker out. the speaker out still has the impedance issue but on the line out it should work ok. many pedals (like overdrive) wont sound best there, they want to see the direct signal from the guitar but a delay or chorus pedal might work ok

Comment

So if I had a delay pedal, a Leslie simulator pedal (I dunno if this should go before or after the amp), and a phaser pedal, I could connect them to the line out of the attentuator and connect that to a speaker cab?
      And Here on Bandcamp!
      Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Delay is probably best in that position, but I prefer my phaser before the amp - depends how "in your face" you like it I guess. You'd want to send the line out into a SS power amp, as then you can completely change the volume level to your taste. I'm not sure how loud it would be plugged straight into the speaker, but whatever it is, without a power amp you'd be stuck with it at that level.
        Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
        Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Corbic
          So if I had a delay pedal, a Leslie simulator pedal (I dunno if this should go before or after the amp), and a phaser pedal, I could connect them to the line out of the attentuator and connect that to a speaker cab?
          You could, but you wouldn't get any sound. You'd have to run the pedals' output through another power amp to drive the cab.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Now it's starting to sound like the setup from the first Van Halen album lol.

Now I need to think if I really need a delay pedal...it does offer some cool tones, but none that are necessary.
            And Here on Bandcamp!

Comment

Working...
            X