Time for an amp trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for an amp trade

Well, I've come to a crucial decision. I'm going to sell my Mesa Boogie Mark III head. I like the lead channel on it, but having only one eq and trying to go back and forth from lead to clean doesn't work out so well. I find the clean channel on it thin when I have everything set for the killer lead channel.

What kind of amp would you all recommend? From what I can tell on eBay is the Mark IIIs go from $650-$800, so I need to stay in that price range for the next head. I've already got a 1X12 cab from Mesa that I'll be keeping for the next amp. Also, I don't need a 100W head. I could go for 50W or less (tube please).

I would like a versatile amp, no one trick ponys, and NO ONE CHANNEL amps. I've got to be able to go from clean to lead with no eq tweaking. How hard is that to ask?

Also, suggestions on how I should pack my Mark III are also welcome. I picked it up from the seller when I got it. What kind/how much packing material should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Time for an amp trade

How about a pedal dude? A 6band EQ and a boost that you could use on either channel benefits less from the EQ change?

Comment

Meh.

I'll consider it, but the 100 Watts that I've got in this thing is still too much. Even with a Power Soak, this thing never gets above 3.

Comment

Might help if we know what kind of tones you are looking for?

What kind of cleans?

what kind of dirt?

How much gain?

What kind of music?
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

There in lies the problem. Clean tones I like John Mayer-ish type stuff. For my distorted tones listen to this song http://www.g7welcomingcommittee.net/mp3/motorleague.mp3 . When you get into the chorus there's a part where he lets the chords ring for a second (right after he says "back to the motor league with me"). That sound right there is what I want. To me, it's still clear enough to hear all the notes, but nice and distorted. Not fuzzy at all though.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBar3
            There in lies the problem. Clean tones I like John Mayer-ish type stuff. For my distorted tones listen to this song http://www.g7welcomingcommittee.net/mp3/motorleague.mp3 . When you get into the chorus there's a part where he lets the chords ring for a second (right after he says "back to the motor league with me"). That sound right there is what I want. To me, it's still clear enough to hear all the notes, but nice and distorted. Not fuzzy at all though.
            Thats def Marshally sounding to my ears..nice tones....warm... an 800, DSL or a good 900 should work. Or any number of boutique amps.

EDIT: there's not *that* much gain (compared to most modern music). And the pups don't sound hot, nor are the speakers that tight.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

btw, propagandhi is unreal, and ampwise, check out the marshall dsl. head to a store and play one, it should get you reasonably close to that tone.
              Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Working...
              X