COLD BIAS?????? v TONE??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLD BIAS?????? v TONE??????

A lot of people have told me about amps being biased a little cold, so they raised the bias to match the tube type, etc etc

What I want to know is - say you have a Marshall, Bogner, Mesa, Fender et al and it's biased cold, how will the tone change when you warm it up?

What about the cold biasing makes it undesirable and how does the warm bias change things?

(I have my own ideas on this, but I want the opinion of an amp guru, por favor)
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: COLD BIAS?????? v TONE??????

I'm sure you've sort of figured it out already - cold biasing will give you more headroom and the sound will be "cleaner", but you will lose some warmth, and of course some like an early breakup point anyways.

Comment

With a hotter bias(More current going through the tubes)your tone is ballsy,fatter,stronger,more direct,but you lose the clean headroom...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I think if a tech puts an oscilloscope on the circuit, there's supposed to be a Q point where there's no crossover distortion on the sine wave.
        I've always done it by ear with my eye on a mA meter, using a mA bias tool.

To me, the amp is biased when it sounds as rich, bold, and tight as possible, which is probably right near that Q point. I just stay around 32mA for 6L6 and 38mA for EL-34's, give or take a couple of mA. The difficult part is juggling the guitar so I can strum it, while turning the bias pot on a live amp without electrocuting myself! There's no room for error, so I keep my left hand off the strings, and always have a glove and plastic handled screwdriver on my right, then I listen as I make tiny adjustments. I usually prop the chassis up with books under the transformers, so it can sit with the circuitry face up.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I think if a tech puts an oscilloscope on the circuit, there's supposed to be a Q point where there's no crossover distortion on the sine wave.
          I've always done it by ear with my eye on a mA meter, using a mA bias tool.

To me, the amp is biased when it sounds as rich, bold, and tight as possible, which is probably right near that Q point. I just stay around 32mA for 6L6 and 38mA for EL-34's, give or take a couple of mA. The difficult part is juggling the guitar so I can strum it, while turning the bias pot on a live amp without electrocuting myself! There's no room for error, so I keep my left hand off the strings, and always have a glove and plastic handled screwdriver on my right, then I listen as I make tiny adjustments. I usually prop the chassis up with books under the transformers, so it can sit with the circuitry face up.
          That's Doctor GJ.....
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
          X