Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need A Bass Amp!

Hey Guys,
    I'm really getting into bass and I need to buy a bass amplifier. I'm looking for an amp that can be pretty versatile. When playing bass, I play a lot of stuff reminiscent of classic rock such as Led Zeppelin or AC/DC, so I need a good deal of punch and bass, but I also love articulate playing like that of Justin Chancellor of Tool. I have about $1400 for the entire amp. I was thinking about putting out $400 for an Avatar 4X10 Neo Cab, but what kind of head should I look at? I'll be using a Fender Jaguar Bass through it. Thanks.

Re: Need A Bass Amp!

You could pick up a very nice orange or ampeg in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid
      You could pick up a very nice orange or ampeg in that price range.
      Any specific models I should check out?

Comment

Look at used David Eden World Tour heads.

I got my Road Runner for 800 canadian dollars (right now I'd guess 500-600 USD)

It's 600 watts - well, it's stereo, so 300 per 4 ohm cab. You can also bridge it and get the full 600 in mono, if you run an 8 ohm cab.

I run one 4 ohm cab only (Bag End 2x12") so I use only one side of the amp. Believe me the 300 watts it gives me is LOTS. It's a very clean amp and the parametric EQ is VERY flexible - it can sound smooth as butter, ballsy/punchy as hell, whatever you want.

These heads are expensive (the WT800 is an industry standard, I'm not sure if they even make my WT600 anymore). So look at used models.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend going in for less than 300w solid state.

Check out the Mesa M-Pulse or Walkabout (they do make a Walkabout head?), I really like that Mesa EQ.

A great starter head is the GK 800 RB. That used to be the "industry standard" and they're still great heads. They're rugged, light, easy to EQ, and plenty loud. However, pay attention to your impedance.

Any of the GK heads are great.

The newer bigger Fender Bassman amps are pretty decent too.

If you can find one, the Seymour Duncan 300x300 amp rocks.

I've heard nice stuff

You've got a decent budget, don't get something "cheap." @$1000 will get you most any head you want used.

If I were to get a new head, I would be looking into the Mesa Big Block or the new Eden 1200w head.
          Last edited by The Golden Boy; 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM.
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I've got a Peavey 210 combo that I use that puts out about 200 watts until you hook up another 4 ohm cab, dropping the ohms to 2 and the wattage up to about 350...that sucker COOKS!
            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I have played with / thru many rigs. I like Ampeg SVT's since they are as rock as it gets, but I have seen reliability problems on gigs.

I play with someone who has a Mesa all tube bass amp and it kills with the 15.

I can say that the GK800 (or 700) RB has been on many a gig, I have played thru them with 4x10s and they NEVER FAIL. Sound great from R&B to Hard Rock.
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

my personal favorite bass amp tone is a 200w Orange bass head into an 8x10 Ampeg cabinet...it's not quite the tone you described but if you like the bass tone on Weezer's blue album or Converge's 'Jane Doe' then you like this rig...

it stands out from most bass tones because it gets just the slightest bit of tube break-up and Orange crunch...makes the bass sound a lot more 'full.' When i saw Converge live I noticed that while their guitarist was soloing the bassist would play the verse riff slightly higher up on his bass...you never really notice the absense of a rhythm guitar because he'd have his Orange cranked so hard that it was nice and crunchy.

Alternatively (and a lot more affordably) Gallien Krueger makes really nice-sounding amps for cheap. I think musician's friend has a 200w head/4x10/1x15 bass fullstack for a little more than a grand.

And one more thing: Those 'new' 300 watt Fender Bassman amps are just 'old' 300 watt Sunn bass amps...Fender bought Sunn a while ago and has been repackaging some of their more popular amps with Fender names. If you like the Bassman 300 at a store there's no reason you wouldn't like the Sunn for hundreds less on eBay....

-X
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets

And one more thing: Those 'new' 300 watt Fender Bassman amps are just 'old' 300 watt Sunn bass amps...Fender bought Sunn a while ago and has been repackaging some of their more popular amps with Fender names. If you like the Bassman 300 at a store there's no reason you wouldn't like the Sunn for hundreds less on eBay....

-X
                  Even those Sunns are starting to go for silly money now, they used to be next to nothing, but since the doom/stoner guys got hold of them they have been in huge demand.

I also highly reccommend the ampeg SVT range, thier 8x10 cabs are industry standard too.
                  "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I had a mesa walkabout head I liked it alot you should give that a try too.

Comment

Working...
                    X