Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Knopfler - 2 part Ques

1) What did he use on Sultans of Swing?

2) What did he use live on Knebworth, and with the Knotting Hillbillies (ie on SNL wayyy back when)

I am in love with his sound. You know what? I Dig his singing a lot, too. Don't ask why.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Mark Knopfler - 2 part Ques

His singing is really cool. I know he almost always fingerpicked. That will contribute to the tone.

Comment

We've got the Knotting Hillbillies CD, as well as most of the Dire Straits albums and a couple of his solo efforts too. His tone is very nice - most of it is in his fingers though. Quite literally actually, as he's a fingerpicker.

A good Fender Strat through an old black/silver face Fender amp will do the trick just fine.

Comment

IIRC Sultans was a Fender Strat through a compressor into a fender amp, I can't recall what model.
        Originally posted by tone4days
        we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I know he also used a Les Paul for a good amount of songs. Not Sultans of Swing, but for some other ones.

Comment

Yeah and he sounds like Mark whether he uses a LP or a Strat.

Comment

I don't believe the LP came until much later. His latest stuff is heavy on the Les Paul.

Earlier stuff was strats and then suhrs.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

You do need an Armstrong Orange Squeezer compressor or reissue. I've listened to sound clips and they are definately part of that sound. Analogman makes a good one.

Comment

Fender Twin Reverb, silver face

Roland Jazz Chorus

Fender Vibrolux, early sixties, brown, one 12" speaker, about 30 Watts
                  As for effects, well I saw a magasine back in the days, MXR comp, Echoplex and a MXR analog delay(that green one, it was probally used live) some moreley volume I think it was?

Comment

I would not have guessed Roland JC.

I'll have to plug my friend's Strat into my Roland JC next time he's over

Comment

It sounds like sh!t....good recording is more like it!

Comment

I just want to note, half of you gave no real answer just the BS oh yeah its cuz he plays with his fingers

um duh, I got that part. L. Buckingham plays with his fingers, yet uhh somehow I never get them confused - amazing, no? I can name 100 players who play with a pick - guess what they don't all sound alike.

The big part was second section of the question - his live tone - esp Knebworth etc with the PENSA SUHR guitars.
                        1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

Olin...google!

P'S use your fingers

Comment

Sultans of Swing is a Strat (duh) with a compressor (I believe I read somewhere that it was a Ross, so presumably an Analog Man DynaRoss would be pretty close) and some sort of clean amp.

I see Knopfler as the quintessential Strat player - most would say Hendrix, but Hendrix is way more than what kind of guitar he used, and he probably could've made those sounds with anything. Knopfler, though, is almost defined by the quack. That said, he has played buckers too...

Also, mostly fingered rather than picked, though not what is traditionally referred to as fingerpicking. Genius.

Comment

Uh, duh again - I did Google

uh try reading the post
                              instead of being lame, realize I want this answer, and I will bet many on here would want to know - esp if you have heard the Hillbillies or Knebworth.
                              1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X