No announcement yet.

who makes a good low priced combo amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who makes a good low priced combo amp?

im in the market for a good combo, something thats got good tone it doesnt need any f/x on it either,and isnt bulky to carry around.this might be asking too much but id like it to be loud enough to use in a live band setting.i dont want to spend over $200.00 and how about it being a tube amp?i would be using for classic rock n roll tones.
    my band
    Red Hot Rebellion
    www.redhotrebellion.com

LP's & Marshall's

Re: who makes a good low priced combo amp?

Epiphone valve combos are pretty cheap and can do the classic rock tone pretty well too.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

How about an epiphone Valve Junior head? Or Combo? They're cheap ($100 or so) and sound really good for what they are.
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Fender blue junior is about as close to what you are describing. It lists for $399 and is all tube. You can get it on ebay for a little over $200 or even talk a dealer down to about $340 maybe.

Comment

A used Fender Blues Jr.
          An Epiphone Valve Jr.

The Epiphone could do with a speaker upgrade if you go with that option, just so you know. I'd put an Alnico speaker in it.

Comment

A Good Tube combo at $200= Slim pickings. But if you can come up with another $50 to $100 you can probably fine something decent used in the under $300 range. There are some forgotten amps that can be had in that price range. Like a Fender Super 60 (or other's of the infamous red knob series) or some old Peavey's like the VTX series.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

You maybe able to get a deal on a used Fender Blues Jr for $200 USA or a bit more.... Also Used, they are rare but Peavey Classic 20's are sold quite cheap when they are around.... The C20 was only out for a few years and it disappeared... I've also seen C30's for around $250-$300 and they are good cheap tube amps...

In your price range you maybe forced to look at solid state... I know many are not a fan of them but those Fender Deluxe 112's from the early to mid 90's are not bad for a loud practice amp.... i mean they are not bad for the buck! I liked them better then the newer DSP cr*p Fender shoved out in 99 or so... noisey junk.... But those older Deluxe 90's or 112's and the like are quite loud and cheap plus they can sound alright for bedroom practice but be loud enough for jams.. Plus they are light and can be carried in one hand. but that's just my 2 cents....

Comment

Traynor! I love mine. It has EL84 tubes too. With my fat strat I can nail the brown sound. The clean is amazing, it has a bright channel that hits the AC30 tone pretty good.

The crate Palominos are good too, but I don't think they're as versatile
                Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
                Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
                Taylor 110E Acoustic
                Traynor YCV 20
                Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

Originally posted by dasfonzie
                  Traynor! I love mine. It has EL84 tubes too. With my fat strat I can nail the brown sound. The clean is amazing, it has a bright channel that hits the AC30 tone pretty good.
                  Yeah

How could I have forgot Traynor??

Comment

Vox valvetronix series is about it maybe?

Comment

Working...
                    X