X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimi Hendrix MARSHALL RI

What are the specific mods on this amp?

I know Mr. Seal would know.

Did the big acts - Cream, Hendrix, and even Free, etc later on - have modded Marshalls? I know they weren't modded in the 19080s sense, but still.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Jimi Hendrix MARSHALL RI

you might want to contact david bray, he knows knows marshall amps....
    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

I don't think Jimi's amps where Modded in that sense,But more so Upgraded to handle his sonic assault. Much the way Leo Fender had D!ck Dale play thru Showman's until they blew up. This way he could find out which component's needed to be upgraded. Then after the weak link's where discovered,The upgrades where Incorporated into production amps.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I've read where they actually were using the 6550 tubes in Hendrix's amps to keep it tighter? Not sure to the truth on this? Hendrix had alot of problems using the amps back and forth between here and the UK also with mains voltages and transformer problems...I also heard he used the 30 watt "Bass" speakers? It'd be cool to really know the real facts.
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The background on this amp is that there was a guy in England a year or so ago who listed an old Marshall on eBay, purported to be an ex-Hendrix amp. The documentation was pretty solid, and it caused quite a stir. Before the auction closed, Marshall got into the act. They apparently were convinced that the amp was authentic, and came to an "arrangement" with the seller to gain possession of the Hendrix head.

Their examination of that head is the basis for the reissue. I suspect that the "mods" are just narrowing down variables assosiated with the manufacturing variances that were common back then. Amps weren't always built exactly to the schematic, and the only way to find out what a particular amp is, is to look inside.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            I've read where they actually were using the 6550 tubes in Hendrix's amps to keep it tighter? Not sure to the truth on this? Hendrix had alot of problems using the amps back and forth between here and the UK also with mains voltages and transformer problems...I also heard he used the 30 watt "Bass" speakers? It'd be cool to really know the real facts.
            I read 6550s as well, but now I'm hearing stuff about KT66 tubes and I'm not sure...on the specs page for the Jimi stack on the Marshall site there is a quote from Eddie Kramer saying how KT66 tubes really made those amps (Jimi's) sing. http://www.marshallamps.com/product....=Super%20100JH

The speakers I heard originally were G12H speakers, originally intended for bass. But now Marshall is using these Marshall/Celestion G12C speakers in the cabs for the Jimi stack, which I've never heard of or know anything about.

EDIT: I remember reading that at the end of a tour, Jimi would pick which heads he thought sounded the best, and the techs would take them apart to see which ones were best. The ones Jimi picked usually had very high plate voltages.
            Last edited by Corbic; 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM.
            The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
            And Here on Bandcamp!
            Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

This is an article I read a few years ago that explained some of his live GIG amps and Mods. For the most part his amps were 100W Super leads, some were modified with 6550 tubes and some speakers were changed from the 25W Celestians to the 75W Rolos that were used in the SS Vox Amps.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
                The background on this amp is that there was a guy in England a year or so ago who listed an old Marshall on eBay, purported to be an ex-Hendrix amp. The documentation was pretty solid, and it caused quite a stir. Before the auction closed, Marshall got into the act. They apparently were convinced that the amp was authentic, and came to an "arrangement" with the seller to gain possession of the Hendrix head.

Their examination of that head is the basis for the reissue. I suspect that the "mods" are just narrowing down variables assosiated with the manufacturing variances that were common back then. Amps weren't always built exactly to the schematic, and the only way to find out what a particular amp is, is to look inside.
                I remember that auction. Someone posted a link here.
                My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

The speakers in question are the G12H30 Heritage speakers which are the 55hz "bass" versions. I have 2 of them.......VERY nice, but pricey.....at least $210 per cone even with the discounters.
                  '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                  '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                  '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                  '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                  '01 Firebird V
                  '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                  '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                  '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                  '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                  '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                  '04 Martin HD28V
                  '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                  Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                  Marshall 1987x RI
                  Soultone 18w
                  Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

How different in tone are the Heritage from the G12H? I use the G12H, and they sound AMAZING with Marshalls! I mean flat out unreal in crunch, fullness, balance, tone, and crunch. Cleans are nice too. Verrrry woody.

BTW that backstage lounge link was GREAT!
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

The Jimi Hendrix Marshall RI is just the JTM45/100 with a 33k/500pf tonestack (instead of 56k/250pf).
                      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                      Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
                        The Jimi Hendrix Marshall RI is just the JTM45/100 with a 33k/500pf tonestack (instead of 56k/250pf).
                        +1, and a much higher price tag at that
                        7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Tru'

...just goes to show how much $$$ you can add just by throwing someone's name on an amp.

I'd be interested to know how those G12C (or whatever they're called) speakers sound that come with the full stack though, as apparently they aren't being sold separately from the 1959JH full stack.
                          Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                          Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
                            I remember that auction. you are right, it did cause quite a stir!!
                            I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I'm generally not a fan of 6550s in a Marshall...cos of the mids frequency "shift" they cause.

But I've only used them in JMP MVs and 800s... I bet in an old 45/PLexi type circuit, I actually would like how they sound due to that mid frequency shift.

Does the hendrix one have JTM45 on the faceplate and brown-ish grillcloth with no cab emblems? If so...they've got one at my local store..I didn't plug into it..but I may just hafta next time
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X