VH - Balance ... Amp, Other Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH - Balance ... Amp, Other Gear

It seems that VH's tone in "Balance" is becoming my fave VH tone. He's using the 5150 on this one, and his EVH Wolfgang on this one right?

Re: VH - Balance ... Amp, Other Gear

As far as i know that is right. I have a concert video from the Balance tour and he uses what you said, but you never know what could be lurking in the wings or backstage.
    He uses a pretty hefty pedalboard aswell.
    www.guitargeek.com has his equipment list & i think its from about that time '96-97.
    '00 Ibanez RG470 TB-6 / APS-2 / SH-6n (Fully Chromed hardware inc Orig Floyd)
    '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom JB / PGn
    '05 Custom Hardtail Strat Sh-5b / SH-2n

Laney GH100TI & the matching 4x12
    Engl Thunder 50 Combo
    TC Electronic G Major
    Korg DTR2000 Tuner

Comment

Yup, the 5150 and Wolfgang and a couple EBMM's still were used on that tour. Mostly the Wolfgang's though. I *think* he recorded one or two of the songs on the album with the old Marshall since it had gotten restored shortly before those sessions.

It's nice to see others appreciate his tone on that album. It's one of my favs.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the album had EB's on them.... i read in a 95 Guitar World magazine that Eddie had 3 prototypes of his new Peavey guitar sent to tour rehearsals... They had a poster of the 3 prototypes..... Ed's studio is said to house many many many amps and lots of guitars.... He just claims to be using his signature stuff 100% but other stuff does make it on record.... i finally read an interview that said even in the old days they would use Orange. Fender, or Hiwatt amps as well as the Marshalls for recording.... whatever got the sound they wanted!

But that being said the Balance sound does sound like a 5150... maybe some Soldano too... But a 5150 can get you that sound... I love Ed's Live trick from this era of having a plain NON FX 5150 in the Center.... Preamp out into a H&H power amp into a rack with some effects in stereo..... He set his pitchshift thingy to detune slightly so that it gave a bigger sound! It is said to work perfectly for doing that!!! I've heard of producers in the studio de-tuneing stuff and adding it back so it sounds fuller....
        Last edited by WhoFan; 04-27-2006, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I've got that mag around somewhere. Didn't they mention in that one that he used the Marshall on a song or two? I want to say "Big Fat Money" is one of them.

Yeah, the Wolfgang's were still prototypes at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
            I've got that mag around somewhere. Didn't they mention in that one that he used the Marshall on a song or two? I want to say "Big Fat Money" is one of them.

Yeah, the Wolfgang's were still prototypes at that point.
            Not sure which tune they said he used the Marshall on but i remember reading about it.... At the begining of the Balance tour he even had his original Roth era stripped strat out on the road but never used it and sent it home early on.....

Comment

Eddie has been known to use many guitars on his studio work, and not just EBMM EVH or Wolfgang. He has used anything from Strats to Les Pauls and Teles.
              "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!"

EBMM EVH
              Peavey Wolfgang STD
              Peavey Predator Plus EXP (SD Custom Custom / Pearly Gates)
              Peavey Predator Plus EXP (Stock Peavey Pups)
              Peavey 5150 Amps

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
                Not sure which tune they said he used the Marshall on but i remember reading about it.... At the begining of the Balance tour he even had his original Roth era stripped strat out on the road but never used it and sent it home early on.....
                I was sitting 13th row center stage at the 3rd show of the tour. A buddy and I saw that strat during a quick sound check before the lights went down. His tech (I think it was Scotty still) played some chords. No house PA but we could hear those cabs on the stage. All we saw was the tail end of the body from his pit. He never played it during the show though. Started with a Wolfgang and switched between it and a EBMM or two. One of the best VH shows I ever saw.

Comment

I was sitting 13th row center stage at the 3rd show of the tour. A buddy and I saw that strat during a quick sound check before the lights went down. His tech (I think it was Scotty still) played some chords. No house PA but we could hear those cabs on the stage. All we saw was the tail end of the body from his pit. He never played it during the show though. Started with a Wolfgang and switched between it and a EBMM or two. One of the best VH shows I ever saw.
                  they did 2 shows here in Toronto on that Balance tour and i missed them but was happy to hear they were going to be recorded and shown on Canadian TV... they taped both nights and aired a best of... they showed almost all of their softer love tunes and little of the harder stuff... I have it on VHS and i never watch it.... i prefer to watch the MTV tape of the first USA show that was broadcasted in the USA

Comment

they did 2 shows here in Toronto on that Balance tour and i missed them but was happy to hear they were going to be recorded and shown on Canadian TV... they taped both nights and aired a best of... they showed almost all of their softer love tunes and little of the harder stuff... I have it on VHS and i never watch it.... i prefer to watch the MTV tape of the first USA show that was broadcasted in the USA
                    I've got the one that was shown on Pay-Per-View here. It's got a good mix of everything in it. A friend of mine actually scheduled the PPV for me and I just paid him back. I've got that one on VHS. Haven't watched it in a while though.

Comment

I've got the one that was shown on Pay-Per-View here. It's got a good mix of everything in it. A friend of mine actually scheduled the PPV for me and I just paid him back. I've got that one on VHS. Haven't watched it in a while though.
                      do you mean the Toronto show or the Florida one?

Comment

On Not enough he played the SLP, hmm dunno about Aftershock, I had the magasine where he expained what amps he used...nah it was the 5150 guitar he used on Aftershock?!
                        Lol.
                        11 years has passed

Comment

do you mean the Toronto show or the Florida one?
                          I believe the PPV showing was Toronto.

Rid: That's the one.

Comment

I dont have the Balance album but how does Ed get his tone on Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do?

I've been trying to get something close to that tone with my 5150 but I havnt had any luck. any Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
                              I dont have the Balance album but how does Ed get his tone on Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do?

I've been trying to get something close to that tone with my 5150 but I havnt had any luck. any Ideas?
                              Drop the low E to D, get some thick chorus going and some delay. I can nail that tone through my Marshall with a chorus and delay pedal. It's not hard. Make sure the 5150 is on the lead channel but the gain at about 7-ish.

Comment

Working...
                              X