banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Scholz Power Soak. The bomb or absolute bollocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Scholz Power Soak. The bomb or absolute bollocks?

Don't see many attenuators floating around on the Australian second-hand makret, especially this cheap:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Power-Soak-by-Tom-Scholz_W0QQitemZ7409319221QQcategoryZ10171QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]

Anyone used one of these before? They look cheap and outdated compared to THD and Weber stuff.
    Last edited by Animal; 04-27-2006, 12:29 PM.

Re: Tom Scholz Power Soak. The bomb or absolute bollocks?

I don't know much about these but years ago it was rumored that many amps met an untimely death because of these units. I don't know if it was because of the design or misuse.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Tom Scholz Power Soak. The bomb or absolute bollocks?
      assuming bollocks = $hit?

Definitely the latter.

Unless you want to fry your amp???
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Loves to eat transformers....The only bomb is using this attenuator!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

hunk of ****...don't walk, RUN!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The THD & Marshall boxes are gonna sound better...price might be tough to argue with though. I know a guy who was running one with a Vibrolux for a while...no issues.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Dr. Z Airbrake = It's the sh!t if you don't have money to drop for an Ultimate Attenuator, which most people don't.

Scholz Power Soak = just plain sh*t.

Comment

It was great for its time- but there's many better options now. I know a guy who uses his Scholz unit with his 69-ish Marshall and a mid 70s Orange with no problems- and he's an amp repair guy.
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Ha ha, I'm glad I asked before bidding on this thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X