Laney LC15R for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney LC15R for metal?

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if this amp would be suitable for playing heavy metal. Not any of the really high-gain stuff, but how well would it work for bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth etc? I have a Spina modded SD-1, what difference would that make if I put it in front of the amp? Also, I think it only has 1 channel so is it possible to get a good clean sound out of it?

Thanks for any opinions.

GUITARS:
    Fender USA Strat - DiMarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
    Epiphone Goth V - Duncan Distortion set
    Edwards Les Paul - DiMarzio Tone Zone and PAF Pro
    AMPS:
    Marshall JCM200 DSL50 head
    Marshall 1936V 2x12 cab

Re: Laney LC15R for metal?

GAWA, it is a staight-forward rock n' roll amp, very simple design. It isn't a high gainer.

I changed the OT in mine to gain reliability, and changed the stock H&H speaker to an Eminence Ramrod. By the issues I am hearing of, I think quite a few LC15's are gonna need OT's. The build quality of the LC15 isn't on par with the LC30, more of an economy amp. I am very happy with mine now, but it wasn't at it's full potential out of the box like my LC30II was. It is a good amp if you are willing to work with it, and get it for a good price.

Actually, I am gonna retube my LC15 either today, or this weekend. Time for some new JJ's in the power.
    Last edited by wixedmords; 04-28-2006, 06:45 AM.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
      GAWA, it is a staight-forward rock n' roll amp, very simple design. It isn't a high gainer.

I changed the OT in mine to gain reliability, and changed the stock H&H speaker to an Eminence Ramrod. By the issues I am hearing of, I think quite a few LC15's are gonna need OT's. The build quality of the LC15 isn't on par with the LC30, more of an economy amp. I am very happy with mine now, but it wasn't at it's full potential out of the box like my LC30II was.
      yea.

it can handle iron maiden, but not megadeth without some help.

clean sound is lush, but to make it a quasi two channel amp, you need a pretty heavy overdrive.

by the sound of mine, i think the OT was faulty to begin with. and when it was tested or whatever at the store prior to sending out (if they did that) they forgot to connect the speaker and the result was .. well... a not working amp. though i am not 100% of this on mine, but i talked with jeff seal and he said he had ones in the shop with similar problems as mine and a tube change didnt improve the sound.. nothing on the board looked wrong, so i guess the OT was shot, but wont say it definately was.

if you get a good one, great. when it wasnt buzzing like a bag of bees, the tone was great.

Comment

Davey, you got me thinking.

My issue wasn't an output issue, my LC15 has always been very loud, no volume variance by itself. But, I did remember mine running wicked hot. You could barely touch the chassis front when it was running. This was over 2 years ago, and one of my many amps. So I just rolled my amp over and then I realized I replaced the PT in mine not the OT. My apologies to the board for my mis-information.

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Davey, you got me thinking.

My issue wasn't an output issue, my LC15 has always been very loud, no volume variance by itself. But, I did remember mine running wicked hot. You could barely touch the chassis front when it was running. This was over 2 years ago, and one of my many amps. So I just rolled my amp over and then I realized I replaced the PT in mine not the OT. My apologies to the board for my mis-information.
          now that you mention it. it IS hot. even after 10 minutes running. not that you cant touch it, but hot.

how loud loud are we talking about here?
          i had mine on 8 (w/ gain on about 8 -> 9) and you'd assume that it would be reasonably LOUD (running through a 2x12) but it wasnt.

just got off the phone with the store, they're sending people around next week (thank YOU holidays!!!) so it's going back for the time being. sucks, but what can ya do. since they dont have lc30's, i dunno.. kinda put off of the lc15's cos the quality seems so-so, so i'm back where i started

Comment

Hey Davey,

My LC15 comes on in the normal way of all my Laney's. Not much until 2, then it comes in like gangbusters. I never really get up over 4 here in my office. It wouldn't be fair to others in the building. Way too loud. But, the 10" speaker does push less air than a 12".

I just got done biasing mine, 300 volt plate voltage, 12 watt tube. I biased it right at 70% at 28 mA. (Pa Max/B+)(.7) I gonna play it after this cup of Joe.

Follow the proper channels with where you got it Davey and you should be able to send it back. Use the sqeaky wheel theory if at first you don't succeed.

EDIT: It has a bias pot accessible directly through a small hole in the chassis by the power tube closest to the pre tubes. (Just trying to be complete.)
            Last edited by wixedmords; 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Davey, I kinda disliked the H&H that was in the amp originally, it was a bit to flat, kinda farted out.

I know they now put the Celestion Tube 10 in them, which I hope isn't as bright as the G10 that was in small Marshall combo's. Those were brutally bright, IMO.

Anyway, good luck Davey. Hang in there.

Comment

Davey, I kinda disliked the H&H that was in the amp originally, it was a bit to flat, kinda farted out.

I know they now put the Celestion Tube 10 in them, which I hope isn't as bright as the G10 that was in small Marshall combo's. Those were brutally bright, IMO.

Anyway, good luck Davey. Hang in there.
                Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like it might be a good amp for the price of it but I'm slightly concerned about these problems Davey is having. Doesn't sound too reliable. What is the difference between the LC15R and the LC30II? You said it's better build quality which is good but how does it sound for metal? Would I still need a heavy OD pedal?

Cheers.

BTW good luck as well Davey, hope your amp problems get sorted out

GUITARS:
                AMPS:
                Marshall 1936V 2x12 cab

Comment

There is quite a bit more gain in an LC30II.

But, don't buy one. I want to be the only one around that has one.

Play before you buy.

Comment

There is quite a bit more gain in an LC30II.

But, don't buy one. I want to be the only one around that has one.

Play before you buy.
                    I'll keep it a secret if I buy one.

I'll take a trip down to my local guitar shop and see if they have either of the amps in the store so I can try them out. Hopefully I'll have a new Laney amp in the near future!

Thanks for the info guys

GUITARS:
                    AMPS:
                    Marshall 1936V 2x12 cab

Comment

Working...
                    X