questions about fender champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about fender champs

im looking at good dorm room amps and i think one of my best bets is a fender champ. i wana know anything you guys can tell me about them, and yes i have already searched the forums for past info, which i found helpful btw.

is there a real big difference between the silverface and blackface model champs? if i can get my hands on a vibro champ, i will, but depending on the good deals on ebay i would happily settle for just a standard champ.

how is the champ with pedals? espesially dist and overdrive pedals. i plan to bring my sm57 with me to mic it for gigs if possible too. anything else you guys can tell me is much appreciated. thanks.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Re: questions about fender champs

There isn't a huge diff between the sf and bf champs - a lot more changes were made to the bigger amps but it seems like the smaller amps went almost untouched. And you can have it "blackfaced" by a tech - it's not expensive to do.

The champ is a classic, and it takes pedals well.

Comment

Best "bang for the buck" if it is in good shape.
      Originally posted by tone4days
      we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

From what I hear, the silverface changes didn't pop up until almost 1970 or later, so the late 60s silverface champs are the exact same circuit as the blackface. The difference may be in the quality of components and wiring. I've got a 64 or 65 and it screams. Takes to my Marshall Supafuzz, Digitech Bad Monkey and modded Ibanez TS-7 REALLY well, as well as my old Vox wah. I don't like the way my Carl Martin Plexitone sounds through it, but that's my own personal opinion. Probably the best thing you can do as far as a pedal is get the amp, then take it to a music store and play a lot of pedals through it. Easier said than done, I know, but it would be cool if you could.

This amp on 10 with the bass around 7 and the treble around 5 with my strats sounds ungodly bluesy and classic rock without a pedal. With my Les Paul it's thick and creamy and full. What an incredible low watt amp. I use an A/B/Y pedal and run it at the same time with a Univox U45-B and the tone is pure heaven. Great amp to mix with a more british sounding amp that way. Sounds great with my Vox student as well.

Hope this helps and good luck with the search.
        Last edited by 75lespaul; 04-28-2006, 04:52 PM.
        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

i absolutley LOVE the champ. ive only played a silverface, but it was really great.

Comment

Champs kick ass...I have owned at least 6 of them over the years and like them all...BF, SF and with and with out tremolo...
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The circuit in the Champ remained the same throughout the Blackface and Silverface eras. If there is any difference, it should be minimal. I have two and they rock! I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers to Webers. As for bang for the buck, I don't think you can beat them.
              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

cool thanks guys. so it sounds like i will go with whatever i can get my mits on that is in good condish.
                my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
                fender dg20ce acoustic
                peavey blazer 15 watt
                line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
                Atomic Reactor 112
                Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Working...
                X